travelling in six weeks - husband has broken forearm and wrist - and moon boot

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband fell yesterday and had an open arm fracture with wrist dislocation. He had surgery today for it. He fell because his achilles tendon ripped - so he will be in a left arm cast and right foot moon boot. We are due to visit Canada in exactly six weeks. Need advice please? Do we go? do we take a wheelchair? This is his first visit back to his childhood home in 40 years.....many thanks Kat smile

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,that really is bad luck ,I would say you will definitely need wheel chair because his leg will be weak for a long time yet ,crutches are good for getting about on but if your out and about it could be awkward ,I hope you have a lovely time
    • Posted

Thenks Mary - I should see the consultant today - wo should have a better plan going forward. I'll ask for permission to travel letter too - and see about assistance at the airports.
    • Posted

Best of luck. Definitley get wheelchair assistance at airport. Can be a 'passport' to easier/quicker security and boarding too. And see about getting on hire/loan one for use on your hols too. hope you have a good time.
    • Posted

Thanks Roy 27. He's home from hospital today. Have been advised to check with consultant in two weeks about readiness to fly paperwork - reccomend DVT socks too. I will defo reques twheelchair assistance at airports - thanks for reminding me. We actually have my mum's wheelchair which would be a great fit for him --- so could always take that with us. I don't think he realises how tired he's going to get. x

• Posted

Also crutches and broken arms\wrists can be very painful I would imagine ,good luck
  • Posted

Yes, DVT socks essential for long haul flights. I use them even on shorter flights e.g. to Cyprus. The wheelchair assistance needs to be booked well in advance and not left to last minute. And check again a couple of days before you fly that everything is in place. Bon voyage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.