Travelling with Achalasia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I would like to know how many of  you have travelled with Achalasia, since having Heller Myotomy surgery.  Do you travel out of your country?  Have you had any difficulties 'travelling' ie., food, medical issues?  Sure would like to hear some of your experiences.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could help you but haven't had surgery for mine. I have type 3 spastic. I would think (depending on where you're going and for how long) you shouldn't have that big a problem unless you are on a very special diet. With my Alchalasia I can eat what I want. It doesn't bother me. Again, depends on where you'll be and what's available etc. One would have to know more about you on your end. 

• Posted

I don't know if you've ever travelled outside your own country, but I used to go overseas a lot when I was younger and I can tell you there was nothing easy about it even back then--and I was a healthy individual--most of the time.  I wouldn't advise a person with health issues to undertake such a journey alone.  I never actually had any problems with my health during my solo travels but did a couple of times when I went with my late husband.  I would imagine that there would be few more helpless feelings than being in a foreign land, knowing nobody, and being prostrated on account of illness. One time, in England, I suddenly developed an irregular heartbeat and constant tachycardia.  This continued for days but I tried to soldier on, even went to Wales to visit friends, but spent most of the time lying down. My heart gave me little rest. Regardless, I must have appeared pretty healthy because people kept urging me up and out.  I was even taken to a pub and managed to sing a couple of operatic duets with a Welsh tenor in that condition. [I am a trained soprano.] My husband was with me and, when we got back to England, he finally brought me to a hospital where I received a diagnosis and some heart meds that helped me.  But that was not the end of my ordeal. On the way home, the plane was stuck on the ground at Gatwick for hours [this happened to me more than once so must not be so uncommon], adding a lot of time to that journey.  In the airport of destination, I tried to walk but soon collapsed from exhaustion due to that blasted heart not behaving and the sheer stress of the entire trip.  The paramedics carted me away and I had to undergo more discomfort languishing in an ER for many more hours.  See? 

• Posted

What adventures you have had!!!  I have done a fair bit of travelling in Europe, the Holy Land [on study leave] and the Caribbean.  Thank you for sharing.
  • Posted

Hi Donna i have had achalasia for years and it has never stopped me travelling, I just coped with it on holiday the same as I do at home. I find to drink lots of water helps and make sure you only eat small portions i find the heat seems to aggravate it a bit. You cant let achalasia rule you. I have found travel insurance isnt too bad either. Happy travels Maz Maz
    • Posted

Thank you for your response which is both helpful and encouraging.  This past Wednesday my surgeon said that I was 'good to go,' in terms of travelling.  So, hubby & I have booked winter vacation.  I already do what you have suggested in your post, so its just a matter of managing it in a different environment.  Again, thank you.

• Posted

Hi Donna

Wow, have a good holiday! Glad you have permission to travel! 

Yes my husband (who has achalasia) and I often travel. I have to confess that we favour the Self Catering holidays as this gives the greater flexibility with foods, times of eating etc. But we have travelled when we were reliant on food served to us also.

We always add his condition to our holiday insurance, although most don't seem to charge additional premiums for this condition.  

He is pretty adapt at working his way around the menu these days and sticks to what he knows will work for him, as everyone is different.

Go!!! Have a great time     

• Posted

Thank you, Carol.  Your words give me encouragement.  We will be going to an all-inclusive this time.  I have emailed the General Manager of the resort, who will be setting up a meeting for myself with the Chef, upon arrival at this resort.  I am sure that I can find food to eat.  I am planning on taking some food with me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.