Travelling with Diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I’m 20 and been a type 1 diabetic for 19 years of my life. I have recently started a new project for university about how people with diabetes can sometimes be put off travelling because of their condition. I would be really interested to hear of peoples personal experiences of travelling with diabetes, how they have gotten over stressful times while they have been abroad or travelling abroad; and also the problems they have faced while travelling (for eg. how it can be difficult to keep your insulin in a cool area), things that just simply annoy you and cause unwanted anxiety etc. I’m here to listen to you moan so hopefully I can design something that will ease the stress of travelling to different countries smile Please don’t be shy and play your experiences down (I’ve probably experienced a few in my time with diabetes too). Thank you!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen. I don't let Diabetes stop me from travelling abroad. I have been with my family members to Greece and Spain and at the age of 14 I travelled to Paris and Normandy. I will be 50 next birthday and developed type 1 diabetes at the age of 3' I carry my insulin pens in the Frio wallet. This seems to be adequate for the journey in the plane. I take a copy of my prescription to show at customs although I did get stopped once and had to explain what my blood test machine and strips were and give a demonstration. I sometimes have to take more or less insulin depending on the time of travel and sometimes I keep my watch at the UK time for the journey. I take plenty of supplies and snacks to manage the trips.

The worse thing that happened was when I fell and injured my leg. It became infected and I had to see the chemist who gave me some antibiotics and later sent me to the doctor. Luckily I had an Ehic card. They seemed to know about Diabetes though and I was well again within a few days. Hope this helps and I wish you luck with the program

• Posted

Hi Jen,  I am surprised that Airports do not stock freezer packs that can be purchased frozen for a small cost so that, if there are delays in travel, people with insulin or any medicine that needs to be kept cool can keep it cool.  They could be disposable packs.  Mums with young babies would probably be grateful for this too to keep food fresh for their babies.
    • Posted

Hi Chrissy. I've discovered that you can buy portable fridges to carry insulin pens and am looking into it.
    • Posted

You should let everyone know the results of your enquiries. I am sure there are many who would be interested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.