Travelling with Medications Requiring Refrigeration

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am currently on Dupilumab (Dupixent) treatment for my Eczema, and I'm going away for about 6 weeks and hence, I need to carry three 200-mg pre-filled syringes for my bi-weekly injections.

These syringes require refrigeration (2 C to 8 C), and have to be used within 14 days once taken out of refrigeration. I am looking for a cooler bag and ice packs for transporting them, however the ice packs (I've checked so far) seem to last only for 8 hours. I probably require to cool the syringes for about 24 hours in transit.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Be careful with ice packs. You wouldn't want to freeze you medication. There are small medication coolers that look a bit like a thermos flask. Some use a Peltier element for active cooling and can be plugged into an usb port. I would recommend searching for TSA approved medication bag coolers for carrying insulin as these products are mostly used by diabetics.

• Edited

Thanks Dan73. I was checking the insulin cooler bags, but they seem to last only for 8 hours, and I need longer than that for travel time. I'll check the thermos flasks-type ones using a Peltier element that can be plugged to a charger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.