Trazodone withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey Guys, I hope somebody can help reassure me on here please?

Im a paramedic and have been struggling with anxiety and depression over the last year, I have tried all the usual antidepressants and they tended to make me much worse, so went to see a psychiatrist who suggested trazodone, I took it for 4 weeks but didnt like the side effects and made my mood much worse, so stopped taking it at his advice.

I have never ever experienced such horrible withdrawal symptoms

I fee panicky all day, my heart feels like it is racing, i have a strange sensation of feeling a hot/cold tingling sensation in my arms shoulders and chest, awful nausea, stomach tension and frequent visits to the toilet. I feel depressed and at the end of my tether with it all now.

The last pill i took was 33 days ago, how long does this go on for? As its pushing me to breaking point and my doctor doesnt seem to help.

I wouldnt recommend this drug to anyone

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Sorry to hear you are struggling like this. What dose were you on and how long did you taper? I was on them for about three months and went from 75mg to nil in 16 days. Too fast, I think because I still feel pretty crap. My last pill was just over a week ago and I'm still suffering from dizziness, nausea, headaches, and derealisation. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I was on 50mg and only for 4 weeks so my Doc said to just stop it. Its been 80 days today not that I am counting lol. I have periods now for a week or so and then relapse for a week but with less intensity. When i am having my good periids i still have aching shoulders/upper arms but this week has been a crappy one.

Hows are you getting on?

• Posted

To be honest I am not too bad now. Still have a bit of dizziness now and then, but I am coming off beta blockers too now so it could be that. Taking it very slowly. Sorry to hear you are stiff going through it. That's an insane length of time! It must be because you went cold turkey it is so prolonged. Bloody doctors don't have a clue. I am anticipating some sort of backlash when I stop the beta blockers completely, then I have for the joy of stopping diazapam, which will be hell. Wish I had never touched any of it, as I am sure you do too. I really hope you start to improve more very soon. Good luck!

• Edited

Yeah i dont think the doctors do have a clue, its 12 weeks now and i have had a few good days but mostly crap. Im considering just going back on it at a very low dose and taper off from there but I'd rather not.

I hope coming off the benzos is successful for you, at least with those they know that it needs to be weaned.

• Posted

It might be an idea to go back on and wean off, I suppose. But I can understand you being reluctant after coming this far. It might be the only way forward though. Could you speak to another doctor about it? My one did at least admit traz is one of the nastiest anti depressants to stop. She didn't mention that when first prescribing though, nor when we first discussed tapering off. Only when I was successfully off them. She wanted to start me on mirtazapine. I am so glad I refused. You can get stuck on these things for life just because withdrawal is impossible. I really hope things get much better, and back to normal for you as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.