Treadmill usage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently had my treadmill repaired, as the incline died in the up position. I hadn't rushed to repair it, as my knees have not been happy for a while. But I have been walking more lately, as the reduced humidity seems to have improved my breathing, at least that's what my thinks, as opposed to it being their new 'wonder drug'. LOL. So I got on the treadmill last night, but I found it really jarring on my body, particularly my head. I guess this is because my spine is much more fused that before and I have lost more cushioning. I get the same effect if I step off a curb I'm not expecting, even if it's a little as an inch. It's seems better if I hold the hand rails and keep my head lowered a bit. Not the ideal walking posture and not likely good for my body/spine.

Anyone else had these issues?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello....I've found that if I start on the treadmill at the speed it takes to be comfortable, no matter how low and work up from there you'll find that you can reach "regular" speed in no time.

I haven't felt the jarring but my body just doesn't like the treadmill after I've had a break.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Diana,

I think it's some kind of combination of head/neck issues and the worsening of the AS. I've experienced issues in the past, when I should jerk my head when missing a step or just smacking my head into something. Although it was more common when I would jerk my head. I feel out of it for a few days and there is a popping in my ears when I move my jaw. The popping actually seems to make me feel better eventually. I think it's more akin to some weird whiplash phenomenon rather than a recurring concussion. Although I've never experienced this from using the treadmill until now.

They recently did an MRI of my brain and said it didn't look right (might explain a few things), so the neurologist is sending me off to the aneurysm clinic. The neurologist said I was probably born with the anomalous blood vessels, but they want to run a different scan to be sure. TBH I don't think my issue is related to the above, but it's areal issue for me and annoying that even using the treadmill will trigger it now.

• Posted

Bill,

Sorry for your new struggles. It seems as though AS is a source of constant new struggles. I have ear pain that I assumed was a normal ear infection. Nope! The doctors feel it is also from AS. Same goes with a terrible bout of vertigo and lingering symptoms. The ENT has tested further but I haven't gotten the results back yet.

I'm glad you are in the right hands for your new struggles and I hope there is a none invasive fix.

Best of luck,

Diana

• Posted

Thanks,

I have some kind of TMJ issue that goes with the neck/head issues and a popping in my ears. More annoying than anything else.

I started having dizziness/syncope a couple of years ago, which is what caused my doctor to request the brain MRI. The neurologist said that based on the location of the issue, that even if they could figure it out, it's unlikely it could be repaired. It's just way too risky.

• Posted

Bill,

I used to have that pain too when I was jarred or bumped or stepped off a curb unexpectedly. I believe the pain came from the inflamed joints in my spine and once I could restore even a little bit of motion there was less pain but the initial shift or movement in the joint would be painful. I will still have that pain if I make any quick movements or try to jog. You will probably have to let your neck stretch down if that's what's comfortable now and then periodically try to look straight ahead or up again. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Lilly,

It's not so much pain, as a feeling of disorientation/fuzziness and generally feeling like crap. I might go for months/years and not have an episode, but usually once I have one, I will have several in a row. I felt best when I worked out, but I had an 18" neck at the time. I think the muscles were compensating for whatever was going on with my spine. Unfortunately my body is no longer happy with working out like that.

I've had the jarring you're talking about and it's not so much a pain, as a shock to the system. Kind of like having the wind knocked out of you, except that all of the nerves in your body get a jolt. This does not always cause the problem I mentioned above, but it can.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I see what you mean. It sounds like you believe the general ill feeling is initiated by your neck being jarred or moved . It could be a lack of blood flow through the upper part of your neck to your brain that is causing the vague dizziness. That could be caused by compression of the artery to your brain by the position of the vertebrae of your neck. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that. That would surely be less of a problem than something wrong with your brain. Just a thought worth checking on.

• Posted

Thanks Lilly,

I've had the neck issue for about 40 years, but it was never this problematic. They ran a number of tests when it first started, but they never could figure it out. My GP said it was an atypical migraine; which he said meant that they had no clue. I'll ask the clinic about your theory, but it's been my experience that they aren't willing to help with issues even slightly outside their field.

• Posted

I've had similar issues, but not from using a treadmill - rather just from walking. Have you tried using zero drop shoes? Because your heel is so close to the ground (the treadmill or outside), it forces you to walk/run as you would if you were barefoot, so it reduces the impact on your body. I started using them because I was getting the jarring from regular shoes (I go walking a lot and also walk instead of getting a bus into town etc.) and my knees are getting a lot better since using them.

• Posted

Hi Sockpim,

I was actually wearing my Sketcher Run shoes at the time. I used to like them because they were like wearing nothing. But I wonder if they are actually worse for me on the treadmill, as I find my foot lands flat, as opposed to heel to toe like when you walk. The other issue is that I've gained weight because of my knee and breathing issues, so I'm sure the jarring is made worse by the added weight.

I'll be increasing my walking to get more fit again, before trying out the machines again. The treadmill went up in smoke the first use after the repair anyway. So I need to see if the jarring can be overcome before shelling out for another repair/replacement.

• Posted

Hi Plain_Bill,

I see... I wonder if you could train yourself to change the way you place your feet when running? I used to slap my foot down in my old shoes, but since using the 0mm drop heel shoes, it's changed the way my feet hit the ground. I remember a colleague at work having issues with his weight and knees and he said that apparently for every 1 unit of weight (lbs or kg), 4 units of weight are applied in pressure on your knees. For example, if I gain 7lbs, then I'll have an extra 28lbs of pressure on my knees. Have you thought about running on a footpath through a woodland or something to see if running on a softer ground helps?

• Posted

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, but the Treadmill went up in smoke anyway. The fact that I was stiff probably did not help my form on that particular day.

I've been walking up to 8 miles a day, which is producing some benefits. The Ortho said it would help my knees, but he lied. On the bright side, my feet are bothering me more than my knees. A couple of toes are suing for separation. 😃

I'm just happy that I can walk any distance, although I used to walk more. I asked my doctor (somewhat rhetorically) if it was the wonder drugs that were helping my breathing, but she laughed and said it was the change in the weather. The plan is too keep walking outside until it gets too cold, dark and snowy, then I hope to switch over to the elliptical.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.