Treadmill use following Hip Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has any one got advice and particularly experience of using a motorized treadmill following a hip replacement.

I am aware that most treadmills can be restricted to a speed of 1Km p/h which appears very slow and therefore acceptable following early days recovery for a recovering hip replacement patient "or is it" ??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I asked my physio the same question last week after my LTHR. I was told definitely not anywhere near it until after my two weeks check up, and then they would see. My physio is very permissive, so when she says absolutely not, I listen! She said it isn't so much the speed as getting used to using your new joint(s) - that means that when walking you will not have a common speed capability all the time. You canadapt on the ground, but not on the treadmill

• Posted

I have used a treadmill for walking after both thr's but I didn't start until after 6 weeks post op.

• Posted

Funny that you should ask.  I was in physical therapy just last week and because I was almost 5 weeks post surgery I asked the therapist about using the treadmill, especially since the weather is getting wintery out here in Pa.  I did notice that although the department does have treadmills I have never seen any of the many patients there actually use them.  The therapist told me that he usually doesn't reccommend them because most therapists feel this is not a normal way of walking.   However, since I'm inside during the winter months I personally felt that walking on the treadmill has to be better than not walking at all .  I just couldn't walk around my home enough times to feel that I got much exercise.  I decided to take a slow walk on the treadmill 30 minutes each day at 1.3 miles per hour, increasing the speed and/or time as I feel the need.  I try to walk heel toe heel toe.   Definitely, I would stop if I felt there was problem relating to the treadmill.  But I feel that it's beneficial and I also enjoy it.  Of course this is my choice.  How far are you along in your post operative period.  Best wishes .

• Posted

How soon following THR are you ? Are you a few weeks or months?

Only if the Tredmill is at walking speed so slow you won't fall, and have good balance no risk of falling depending on how far along you are since surgery.

Have you had the 6-8 week check up and X-ray to show the bone has grown enough to secure the implant components. Most implant components have incorporated a rough texture over the exterior for the bone to adhere to which help to secure the implant in place.

Only your surgeon can clear you for weight bearing exercise. It depends on your personal circumstances and other health issues you may have.

There are so many exercises you can do now, following the Physio strengthening the gluteus, core and legs. Lots of walking in small increments until you work up to a longer walk, depending on how long the implant has been in place. 

• Posted

I haven't used one, but I walk a lot which uses the same muscles and I exercise on a stationery bike at the lowest tensions.

I have had both hips replaced and find these exercises really positive for regaining mobility.

• Posted

Having said this a out exercise bikes, I didn't start until after my six week check up.

• Posted

Hello!

Like most folk here, i used a motorised treadmill at the gym after my 'all clear' physio appt at 6 weeks..........walking then now jogging.

All went well, tho outdoor is probably better as more challenging, providing you rest after. My new challenge is the gym now has a 'curver', a walk/run treadmill with no power except as generated by the person on it. Very eco-aware, but scary as feel might fall off!!

Good luck!

Mic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.