treated for asthma, still extremely anxious

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am a 19 yr old girl. about a week ago i had a pretty bad asthma attack, started with chest tightness, then coughing etc. i took my inhaler and coughed a bit more then went to sleep. a few days later i went to the doctor and was diagnosed with mild persistent asthma. (was originally told moderate but it got changed) i was given Qvar preventative inhaler to take and i am taking it once at 10 am and once at 10 pm. however i also have panic disorder, i am extremely scared that i will have a worse asthma attack and die. does the medication mean i wont have an asthma attack as bad as the one i had? i am treating it properly but i have been having multiple panic attacks a day & severe depression due to stress, please help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi lillie,

Sorry to hear that.  Yes having asthma can be a bit scary whether you are 19 or 49.  But you will get used to it over time.  It may go away when you are older.  From the medications you say it sounds mild and no you won't die as long as you are attentive and responsible. :-)

Do you have a written asthma action plan?  You should get that in place with your doc and communicate it to your family and those around you.  Also make a plan in case you have asthma in a place where you don't have immediate access to Ventolin (blue).  Breathing exercise is great for that.  With mild asthma most attacks will pass but you do need to mention them and get treated after the fact.

Frankly your severe depression is greater concern than asthma - please tell a healthcare professional or call your help line if you are feeling low.  You may want to post in that forum.

• Posted

Hello sorry you have a panic disorder makes having asthma another issue to deal with. But once you know the symptoms of asthma and how to treat it , it might help alleviate your concerns and stress about asthma. I can't say you won't have another asthma attack like the one you did, but you can controll your asthma to avoid another one. Good Luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.