Treating anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 4-5 years I've had very bad health ocd/ anxiety- this has got much worse in the last two years.

The anxiety causes me to have dyspepsia quite constantly for the last 3 years and noticeably I've had chest pains in the last few months.

i tried medication for my dyspepsia which didn't work and when I memtioned my anxiety my doctor prescribed me beta blockers to deal with it.

i really do not want to try beta blockers because I am sick of the symptoms my axiety is giving me such as the dyspepsia amd chest pains and I want to try and eliminate how I deal with the thoughts causing my ocd/anxiety. So realistically, is there any way I could treat my anxiety without the medication and if so would I be putting my health at risk for not taking the medication? 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I understand your desire to not take meds .But if you dont ,you have to take actions.I believe strongly that if you have been prescribed something for bp you should take it then take steps to see if a healthy lifestyle of affirmative action is going to be enough.I myself took this route of no meds and have been very successful but I used alot of tools .I too have OCD.and other mental health issues.First off a person must ABSOLUTELY stop drinking coffee.At most have one in the morning.I counsell people and they balk at this.they say they will cut back.But they can sleep and know for sure that coffee does not affect them.instead they drink coffee all day and believe that when they are anxious or lay awake all night ,that it is their thoughts doing this so they obsess on their thoughts.This is just one aspect Caffiene is not a cure for anxiety. Caffiene will increase your bp. coffee blocks natural relaxation chemicals in your brain..Have 1 in the morning when you wake up.It must be ended there.If you cannot control this and,take another one later in day simply because someone has offered it to you,and you are feeling good at the moment, then a life without meds is not advisable at this time.managing a complicated problem takes the ability to be self assertive to do now what will benefit me later. Coupled with the ability to value and acknowledge when there is a later benefit that a past action is why I am feeling ok now.You can do relaxation breathing and relaxation  exercise but if you do not practice them when you are feelin good it is not likely that when you are not feeling well that they will have much benefit.All of these things plus other tools take time to learn.I wish you the same success as I had .

• Posted

Hi..you are not putting your health at risk as anxiety won't kill..you have had anxiety for so long I guess it's much easier to accept it as it is since your still alive over the years..as for me I have ahd it for 6 months and I still feel it's my health and not anxiety ..but I'm trying to cope with it..I have been getting chest discomforts too for 3-4 mths now I think..mine is more of a soreness feeling at the centre..I only feel it upon waking up from sleep..it last for maybe a few mins then it will subside and will be gone .but I'm so disturbed by it that I keep imagining it's there when it's not..so I guess we are just to paranoid..like right now I'm having menses and it's natural to feel tired and body are chest are chess ell as stomach discomforts but due to my aninety,I tend to associate it with my heart. .and I have been mopping my floors are chess lot this 2 days and my left hand muscles feel sore and heavy,but instead of taking it as that,I attribute it to my heart..I guess what I am trying to say is try to take the sensations and aches ands it is and not exaggerate it in your mind..and just feel it and send let it pass..I'm sure you have done tests medically and docs says your healthy so just Rey to take comfort in that..and self talk too remind yourself. .that's what I have been doing so far .I'm 23 by the way..you?
    • Posted

Hi. Does your anxiety get worse before you get your menses? Mine gets worse a week or two before my period. I get sweaty palms and feet and be jittery all day
    • Posted

Depends..sometimes..but I guess the trick is to learn to accept it's anxiety. .once you accept it you can slowly push it aside and over time it wouldn't matter anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.