Treating b12 deficiency for more than a year, problem still persist.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, this will be long. So my main problem is b12 deficiency, which I developed while being vegetarian ( circa 3 years). I started to consume meat, because I had developed severe health issues although I hadn't been diagnosed. After eating meat for a year and a half I still didnt feel good, in fact, my "illness" progressed quite rapidly still. Whrn at last I was diagnosed with b12 def. And started to supplement with it. Still after a year I feel ill, but my symptoms are weird: my ankles feel like they are being locked, bc I cant lift my foot in 90 degrees, that influences my knees and hips and even my back . I feel like my ankles have been deformed ( developed higher arch, toe ball has become flatter and wider). I've always had one leg longer than the other, but only insignificantly, now I feel like my longer leg drags and overall have this feeling like walking penguin. Because my problems with legs seem not to be shared amongst those who suffer from b12, I couldnt diagnose myself. Now I just dont believe that b12 gonna help me. I also have memory problems and have become dumber in general bc of this. Maybe smb could understand what this case with legs is? Also when supplimenting with b12 I feel general pain in my hands and other parts of the body, also while exercising I feel not that relaxing muscle pain ( although that also), but paindul, stiff sensation in my muscles and bones even. Anyway the main problem is legs. I can't even stan comfortably, also walking on uneven ground is painful to me. Im only 23. Became vegetarian at 18. Started to eat meat again when I was 21 or 20.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda it is true that being vegan or vegetarian inevitably leads to Vitamin B12 Deficiency as it can only be sourced naturally by eating meat, fish, seafoods, eggs, poultry and dairy products.

We store several years worth of B12 in our liver but like a battery it has to be "topped up" from the food we eat.

You have obviously seen a doctor in order to get a diagnosis of B12D.  I suggest you go back with a list of your neurological symptoms and ask him/her to give you a trial of Vitamin B12 (hydroxocobamalin) injections to give your levels a boost.  You should also ask to have your Folate level checked as this is essential to process the B12.

Do you have any other "tummy"  health issues or are you on medications that can interfere with B12 absorption such as antibiotics, antacids, PPIs or certain contraceptive pills?

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had Pernicious Anaemia (another form of B12D) for 45 years.

I wish you well

• Posted

No, I don't use antibiotics. I have tummy problems at one point when I was supplementing with magnezium, I guess I over did it. But maybe I could be deficient in other vitamins? Because I feel pain in my hands and arms and legs, when Im taking b12 sublingually.

• Posted

HI Linda, have you been diagnosed with B12 def or PA ? Did your doc advise shots or pills? And are there any other autoimumune problems ? Just trying to get complete picture? Suzanne
    • Posted

I have been diagnosed with b12 def., as A consequence of me being vegetarian. No I don't have any autoimmune disease, as far as I'm aware. She prescribed me 10 shots of cyanocobalamin, but it was one year ago. Since then I have aupplemented with methyl b12 in forms of sublingual, patches' shots, lcreams etc.

• Posted

The U.K. s standard for treatment is much different than the Us, so I don't understand most of the Drs. decisions. In the US you would have been treated with shots and then put daily pills . Another question , since your in a country without a lot of sunshine have you had your vit. D checked . Remember I am not a medical person so any info I might have is from all the  trial and error things Drs. have tried with me. Certainly a low D would give some of symptoms you are having . Good luck and better health 

• Posted

Vitamin D deficiency is becoming "commonplace" over here in the UK partly I think because it is no longer "the done thing" to sunbathe without plastering high factor sunscreen lotions all over.

It is also interesting in the context of this post that Vitamins B12 and D are both sourced from the same animal products i.e. Red meats, fish, seafoods, eggs, dairy produce etc.

Age also plays a part as the older we get the less of both Vitamins we are able absorb from our food.

• Posted

You are spot on in everything you said in post . Sunbathing is still big in US. We probably have more skin cancer.  The age absorption problem is also addressed very quickly and aggressive with Drs here . I know the Vit D problem I had was very severe with symptoms similar to what lindasmith posted . All the symptoms she mentioned Drs said were from her diet , mine from absorption . My treatment for vit. D was rx of 50,000 unit vit D everyday for 2 weeks then recheck , and several weeks with more 50,000 units. I saw an improvement in B12 at that time . I take 15,000 units everyday and tests show level is only 50.  As I said before I am not a medical person ,just many years struggling with these and other health issues. Have a healthy day 
    • Posted

I've had P.A. for 45 years and am permanently on Vitamin D supplements as with the B12 cyanocobamalin injections every three weeks but then again I'm still "clivealive" at 75.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.