Treating Blepharitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I haven't spotted these tips, so apologising in advance if someone has already put them on this thread.

I use heated eye pads - the heat helpt to unblock the tear glands. then I wipe the inner eyelids with Blephasol on a cotton wool bud. The best eyedrops I have found is Hycosan, They really keep my eyes lubricated. If I do this I find my eyes feel good and not at all gritty. I did have Blepharitis quite acute and I find it is improving. I also have a plug in the bottom inner corner of the right eye which is the driest.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you may like to try using Wet Ones. They contain Benzalkonium Chloride and since I've used them my eyes have improved hugely.
    • Posted

I used to react to anything with BC in - I may give it a go and see what happens.
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip
  • Posted

Dear ElaineA,

If you have problems with BC you should not use the Wet Ones wipes as you are probably allergic. If you are allergic to shampoo, detergents, fabric softeners or the hand wipes or even spermicidal jellies have this in it too, you should not try it. If you have sensitive skin at all this may make you worse.

You can try, perhaps, tea tree oil that is diluted down. Let me know if you need that info. Someone on this site posted that info.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Thanks Lynda - please point me to the info. Everything I use in my eyes does not contain BC - I have not had a reaction from any other products you mention. I had a big reaction when I had my eyes lazered and then when I was prescribed drops without this in the problem went away.
  • Posted

Dear ElaineA,

On this site it was tintin who said he used olive oil with tea tree oil at 50/50 once a week and 10/90 for twice daily. That would be 10 for tea tree oil. Most people comment on it being too strong so this info made sense. He used it to kill Demodex which is a mite problem. I used the wipes on someone with that and they worked too.

Benzethonium Chloride and other Quats, as they are called, kill Staph and so does tea tree oil.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Goodness me - I had heard of eyelash mites. Thought they were common in everyone. However I have now Googled Demodex and that may be why I also suffer Rosacea, though it isn't as bad now as it was. I used to be permanently on antib's for it. I have some Tea Tree oil. I will get to work on it. I take it that olive oil we buy for salads and cooking is ok???
  • Posted

Dear ElaineA,

The info was on the answer to Oliver on this site. He said to use basic olive oil and pure tea tree oil.

He said the scaling was almost gone to using the tea tree oil.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.