Treating hemorrhoid?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hope this isn't too embarrassing.  I have developed what feels like a hemorrhoid after having some trouble with diarrhea last week while recovering from surgery.  I'm using calmoseptine ointment to treat the little rash and that is working beautifully, but how do you actually treat a hemorrhoid so it can heal properly?  I've done a bit of reading online but wonder what actually works.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

well, i can only tell you about MY hemorrhoids...dont worry! i wont!

but seriousy, i dont know about healing one properly. i usually treat mine with medication. usually something simple over the counter fom the drug store. i know  they are caused by a bunch of things, being pregnant, having diarrhea, being constipated, and even hard exercise can cause hemorrhoids. if its a chonic condition for you....you may have to have surgery. my sister and my mom had to have them surgicaly removed. thats gotta hurt. but hopefully you'll manage with an ointment or something. and the next time you go for your check up at the doctors, maybe they can tell you of a few things you can do, for example, your diet could be the cause. small changes in what you eat may make a difference. i will take care of mine, by giving up any hard exercises what so ever!!!! good luck to you elizabeth!!

• Posted

Thanks, Laura!  I forgot to mention that I also have Crohn's disease - can't be 100% sure that it may not be some irritation from that, because of the diarrhea, but it is one specific spot and seems a bit different from previous issues.  I do have a post-op check-up this Wednesday with my gyn and also a check-up with my GI Doctor in 3 weeks.  I've been very careful about what I'm eating, which seems to be helping some as well.  Maybe one or both doctors can help.  Peri menopause on top of Crohn's brings about some real confusion!  😮
    • Posted

P.S.  I agree about the hard exercise!  😉
  • Posted

So weird, because I have had a hemorrhoid for many years that seems to be getting larger. I recently had surgery too, and have been constipated for a while now, just tried to go, after not being able to for 5 or 6 days, and not only can I not go, but the hemorrhoid is huge! I may have to use a suppository. Going to gyno tomorrow, so I'm sure she will see it. Heard surgery for these are awful! But yes, use some OTC medicine, it should help you. 
    • Posted

Good luck with the exam!  I do hope you will not need surgery!
  • Posted

I suffer from it too. I tried suppositories from over the counter. It helped a bit but I still have pain time to time. GP gave me a prescription for a stronger one. It seems to be helping more. Ointment is also good as oppose to a cream. Good luck Elizabeth53245!
    • Posted

Thanks!  The ointment is a huge help... read about it online and a pharmacist also recommended it.  I have some OTC suppositories now but will ask GI Doctor for stronger ones if needed.  
  • Posted

Hi Elisabeth,  Don't be embarrassed! Just some good old fashioned hem ointment will work just fine.  Any drug store, or grocery store will carry it.  Just buy the generic stuff, and follow the instructions.  You will be feeling better within 2-3 days.  Actually you should feel a difference right away, the discomfort will ease up.  Good Luck to you Dear!
    • Posted

Thanks, Deidra!  The calmoseptine ointment did help right away with the discomfort.  I'm glad to hear that I may be on the right track... too many health surprises going on these days!
  • Posted

Dear Elizabeth,

I suffer with them on and off since pregnancy, I find the over the counter suppositories usually settle them down but they never completely go, I just treat them when I have flare ups

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.