Treating TKR scaring.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had TKR on 5/22 and seem to be progressing well. When can you start applying lotions etc. to the incision? My surgeon used glue only, no stitches or staples. What have you found to be effective and is it too soon to start applying creams, lotions? Thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, My surgeon used glue , I just waited till it looked fully healed, no weeping or anything and used coconut oil, I think it's a matter of preference a lot of people use bio oil.

• Posted

Ask your physician. All the best to you on your recovery.
  • Posted

I had a partial knee replacement, and I got my massage therapist to start as soon as my dressing was removed and the incision line was clear of infection. That was about 2 weeks post op.
  • Posted

I forgot to mention, my stitches were the self dissolving staple type.
  • Posted

I had staples so it is different for me, but, I bought some Vitamin E Cream and as soon as my staples were removed I started using it. My scar is varely noticeable. Vitamin E is soothing and healing.
  • Posted

Whatever u choose, aloe vera,cocnut oil, vit e cream or breaking capsules,regular lotion- just make sure its 100% closed or the moisture will open it up and make for an ugly scar. Ck w ur MD but 2-3wks is average for glued incisions
  • Posted

I had the same glue. I was told one month for no soaking or lotions.
  • Posted

Greetings. Try a blend of organic essential oils in a cream base. They are available at pharmacies and health food shops. I used an organic sorbelene base with lavender oil for its infection fighting properties. I don't like oil on my skin and preferred a cream type base. The soothing feeling of a light massage over the scar area later is soooo good. My physio massaged both my knees to release scar tissue and it really helped me. At 15 months post op on both knees scarring is hardly noticeable. I wear shorts 8 months of the year. Happy healing.

• Posted

Forgot to say do not touch any weeping area and ask your local GP or nurse to inspect wound site before you use any product on the area. I washed my hands in antibacterial soap whenever I touched the wound site. I knew people who were less vigilant and managed to get infections. The wound site may look healed but may not be fully closed. I had stitches both self dissolving inside and external ones which needed to be removed. Keep wound away from dirt, animal hair etc and I washed my sheets every few days for two months. I was paranoid about staph infections. Be kind to yourself and be patient. x
    • Posted

Bathe with antibacterial soap always!! Also now that the weather is warm, let the air get to it to help dry out and heal. Best wishes.
  • Posted

I would not put anything on it yet, you do not want to get it infected. Mine did get infected. Just ask surgeon first
  • Posted

I was very careful using anti bacterial gel and only using Bio oil when it had helped but one of the stitch holes was very deep and got infected. I would let the shower water run on it and then thouroughly dry it softly with a towel. Then massage around the scar but not on it until about a month. Hope it goes well. 
  • Posted

Hi, last time I had surgery it was on my face, but the plastic surgeon said as long as the wound has closed and healed, ie no weeping of any kind, you can apply creams or oils. His recommendation was to break open Vitamin E capsules and apply the oil directly to the wound. This worked a treat and I don't have a scar at all. He also advised against Bio Oil as it is a petroleum based product which isn't a healthy option. Hope this helps smile

• Posted

I disagree with this. You have to remember you did not have face surgery, you had hardware put in your leg. I ended up with a staph infection and was on IV for 7 week and and another 30 days or oral meds, So Please do not put anything on it for several months after surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks April,

Won't apply anything until checking with Dr in 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.