Treatment ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What other diagnostic testing is there besides Hida Scan for the Gallbladder.... also what type of treatment if Gallbladder is not removed ?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

To start off with there’s ultrasound to see if there’s any stones or sludge in the gallbladder. It also checks the thickness of the gallbladder walls to see if they’re thickened which can be cholecystitis. There’s also MRCP which is an MRI of the liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts. 

Then there’s ERCP which is an endoscopy where they examine the bile and pancreatic ducts. They can sometimes make cuts in the ducts to allow stones to pass through more freely or to put a stent in the duct to keep it open for the same reason. They can also remove small stones with this procedure. 

You can have a CT done which sometimes shows gallstones or gallbladder problems as well. The downfall to this is there’s a lot of radioation in CT scans. I’ve had 2 of these in a year and the radiologist wasn’t too happy for me to have the second one because of this. 

If you get diagnosed with gallstones that are causing serious problems then the best advice is to remove the gallbladder. If a stone gets stuck in the pancreatic duct you can end up with pancreatitis which can be life threatening. Also if your gallbladder is inflamed in the case of cholecystitis this is serious as well. If you get a HIDA scan and it shows a poorly functioning gallbladder then best advice is to get it out.

There will always be people trying to sell gallbladder cleanses and things like that but wouldn’t advise going any of this! There’s also ursodol medication which can sometimes be given for gallstones but can take years of treatment and doesn’t often work.

Hopefully this has helped slightly xx

• Posted

I have back issues, breathing issues that make it extremely difficult for me to be in a lying position at all let alone 60- 120 minutes.... and  I can't find a solution.... Thank you for all of the information you gave me!

• Posted

Not sure why my reply is waiting to be moderated so here’s a quick note of what I said.

Ultrasound, mrcp, ercp, ct scan and HIDA scan are all ways to check if there are gallstones, if the gallbladder has thickened walls or is distended, or can see if there are stones blocking any of the ducts. 

Treatment for gallstones causing problems is generally removal of the gallbladder. If not removed this can occasionally cause cholecystitis, pancreatitis or obstructive jaundice so nothing to mess about with. Hope you get some answers soon xx

• Posted

for gallbladder .

1,Hida scan to see how much % it works.

2.ultrasound to check stones

the treatment options other than gallbladder removal is below.

if you have no stones, but less working gb then

1. Low fat/protein/oil diet

2. No eating in restaurant

3. Excercise

4. No Junk food

intially i had a non working gb and did all the above , but after 5 years i have developed gallstones. Now my only option is to remove gb. 

• Posted

Hi,  I have back issues and breathing issues so it is difficult to lay on a table for 60- 120 minutes so i'm trying to find a solution to not having this scan... so far no solution !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.