Treatment Decision

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice.

I am based in the UK and recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis in hip and lower back.

The nurse I saw today suggested two treatments. .

6monthly injection, Prolia.

12monthly infusion Zoledronic acid.

Both have side effects, reduction in immune system, and one that makes you feel like you have flu. . I have PMR so feel like that everyday.

Is there any other way to increase bone density without any more drugs.

Julia

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I increased my bone density through nutrition and exercise. I only have osteopenia. Improved in one year from minus 2 to minus 1.6. I take prednisone for PMR.
    • Posted

Hi,

Hope you are well, 

I read many of you're posts on the Pmr patient forum.

I asked my Dr about Vit K2, that you have also mentioned, he said no to that and the nurse I saw today had never heard of it.

I am reluctant to take anymore drugs, but really want to avoid a further decline in bone density.

I will do some research, there must be an alternative.

• Posted

You can get good info about vitamin k2 on the internet. My daughter is a registered dietitian and she didn't know about it until I told her. At an OP program I went to at my local hospital, when I asked, the rheumatologist told me there was no research proving k2 helps bones, but she is wrong. There is Japanese research showing it works, and people like me who have been helped.

• Posted

There has also been a study done which proves that careful attention to getting all the right nutrients can help. Google combination of micronutrients osteoporosis.
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for yours reply and apologies for not replying sooner.

I will take you're advice and research as much as possible.

Hope you are well.

• Posted

Vitamin K2 is so popular now in Australia that they are making more which is bringing the price down. It aims the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries.

Vitamin D levels are also very important which can be checked in your blood tests.

Something I have just found out is that a lack of magnesium can contribute to bones breaking. I will be more vigilant in taking that now.

Your diet can also be a big supporter of your bones. Bone broth, jelly, yoghurt, 

prunes, avocados, skin of cucumbers are all foods that can be incorporated into your diet and will help support healthy bones.

Anhaga is very wise and has researched a great deal and as a librarian you can trust her research and findings.

I have refused the drugs and am waiting for something safer and in the meantime just addressing the issue with diet and some exercise.

Weight bearing exercise which can be as simple as a daily walk will help your bones.

So, yes, there is a lot you can do.

By doing some research yourself you can empower yourself and feel in control and confident you are St least being proactive.

Can you state your tscores as some are not so worrying if around 2.5 up to 3 or so.

My worst one is -4.3 on the lower back region but I have not been checked for over a year so will be interested to see the next lot of results.

All the best Julia!

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for you're reply and apologies for delay in response.

Very grateful for the info you provided.

Vitamin D was thankfully the first test I had, that was 24 and now after taking supplements it 180.

However my T scores are not good.

Hips -2.9 lower back -3.9, so need to improve this asap.

Being on steroids for pmr won't help if I can slow this down through supplements and diet I think that is definitely the way forward.

Hope you are well.

• Posted

Julia, only you can decide about taking drugs or not. But if you do, please also do all the natural things people like Kathleen can advise about. Also, be aware that latest recommendation is that people only take a drug for two three years. This helps you get the best benefit and lowers the risk of side effects which increases with prolonged use. That being said, like Kathleen I personally would never take any of the drugs currently available.
    • Posted

Many thanks,

I will have a good think about this over the weekend.

Wouldn't it be good to be 40 again and move at speed.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.