Treatment for acid reflux regurgitation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had severe regurgitation from acid reflux since last year - my mouth is filled with an acidic taste most of the day and I can often feel it creeping up the top of my throat. I've been on PPIs and they havent been effective, I've completely changed my diet, risen the head of the bed, chewed gum, tried Betaine HCI - did everything else you're supposed to do - also with no luck.

Whenever I search up "natural remedies" to GERD they're usually to help with heartburn symptoms which I don't have at all. Things like taking Manuka honey to line the oesophagus to prevent pain, I can't seem to find an equivalent for regurgiation. Does anyone have any suggestions for things they've tried which have helped?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately there are no treatments to help reduce reflux through adding more to your dietary intake.

PPIs are very effective at reducing acid so the reflux is less harmful and probably protective against the slight possibility of progression to cancer. The "natural remedies" may help relieve symptoms of aicd burning.

Reflux/regurgitation is a mechanical process however, rather than a chemical one and dietary changes may not help.

It sounds as if you are doing most of the things suggested to reduce reflux:

Lose weight if necessary; stop smoking if applicable; avoid tight clothing; eat small meals and more frequently - 5 or 6 half sixed portions every couple of hours is better than 3 big meals; leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and bed; raise the bed head by 6 to 8 inches.

If you cannot manage the reflux by these measures, you may have to look at the possibility of reflux reduction surgery (ie fundoplication) - which is what I had to do.

• Posted

Thanks! Yeah unfortunately i'm already on 7 meals a day, I'm 6ft, defined and 71KG so the weight thing isn't gonna be an area where I can really save anything.

So out of interest pre-surgery what symptoms did you have? Did you find that PPIs responded at all for you?

I've got a manometry/PH study coming up so I've been off PPIs for a few days and I'd say I feel the same, if not marginally better. I've read some research papers which infer that PPIs reduce acid reflux but increase bile reflux but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of research in the area.

• Posted

Many years ago, I used to get the most horrendous heartburn. The PPIs did reduce that but then the cough became my worst symptom with fits leading to near blackout two or three times a day and waking and sitting up for 2 hours in the small hours coughing. I also had nasal problems all my life and ear and eye problems and many more. PPIs did nothing for the reflux issues and taing high dose (80mg omeprazole) for years made me anaemic through induced hypochlorhydria, unable to walk 50 yards. All those reflux symptoms disappeared overnight following the surgery and I cam off PPIs and all the supplements I was needed. Within a few weeks, I was cycling 30 miles a day before breakfast.

PPIs sreduce the acid. If acid and bile reflux together, they can cause permanent damage to the oesophagus (Barrett's Oesophagus) which can mutate to cancer - but both elements are needed. If acid is reduced, any bile is more noticeable. I don't believe PPIs actually increase the bile.

I get notifications daily of all the new research coming out - and there's lots of it. Much of the relevent stuff I link to (and archive) on the BarrettsWessex org uk website (select Research from the drop down on the News tab).

Good luck with the manometry.

• Posted

Hi George 

i wish I could give you some sound advise.......I'm looking for these events answers as you!!

i can't believe I've just logged in and read your description of symptoms.

Like you I've constantly got acid in my mouth and  when I blow my nose.

Eating and often taking Ranitidine morning and night with peptac liquid in between 20ml at a time I hate the stuff but it's not keeping it at bay. I've had this for 5 mths feel unwell and down with it all. I'm just waiting for my 9 May Ent appointment hoping for help. I don't know what to expect.......like you I'm not over weight I excercise and eat healthily 

is surgery the only answer and is it a long process to get it ?

• Posted

Hey Deb - so I've had an endoscopy and my came back completely clear - if yours does too then don't be disheartened, I've heard that this is fairly common.

After an endoscopy the next step is a manometry/PH study which are typically done at the same time, for me I complained a little so I managed to get mine scheduled for around 4 weeks post endoscopy (This wednesday!). They use this study to ensure that you have acid reflux and not something else. 

The options are then typically to either do the last test (barium swallow) or to go straight for NF surgery.

Since we have the same symptoms and I'm a few weeks ahead of you - why don't we keep in touch? Maybe what I find out might help reveal some things about yourself.

Either way I hope you find the answers you're looking for!

• Posted

Hi Deb 50   I have all the same symptoms as you and George and take the same stuff, but Ialso take Omeprazole as well as Ranitidine and the ghastly tasting Peptac Liquid. None of it seems to work. I too constantly get acid in my mouth and have a permanent sore throat because of it I suppose.  My nose runs like a tap and I sometimes find my chest is tight with difficulty breathing.  My doc doesn't seem interested and I feel like I'm wasting away.  He told me there is nothing more he can do, but refuses even to talk about the op.  I am at my wits end, so hope that you get more joy out of your doc than I did and he at least discusses the op with you.  
    • Posted

Oh that's horrid! I haven't actually discussed any operations with my GI - I just know that's the next step on the clinical pathway. I don't think I can carry on like this so I intend to be as blunt as possible with him.

Out of interest, did you have a PH study/Manometry?

• Posted

Hi George wondered how you got on today at the hospital?

The hospital rang me today they have a cancellation tomorrow morning at 11 !!! So pleased it's a bit sad when your looking forward to going to the hospital.......just want rid of this problem it makes me feel so down at times 

• Posted

Hi George Thankyou so much that would be brilliant.

Did you have the pylorie bacter test I think that's how you spell it ? And what antacids do you take and when ? I'm worried as I take so much ( but I don't over do it ) and it doesn't seem to help 

• Posted

I actually only take sodium bicarbonate in water - I've found that generally antacids don't really provide me with any relief so I've stayed away with them. I just swirl sodium bicarbonate water to try and minimise the damage to my mouth.

Have you found anything to be of any use?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.