Treatment for GAD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I was hoping for some advice on GAD. I've suffered with anxiety since my teens which was untreated for a long time and lead to depressive episodes including 2 suicide attempts. I was finally treated for depression after having my first child. After 18 months of Citalopram, fantastic family, GP support and therapy I gained some semblance of 'normal' life. However, I have found my anxiety is becoming a real struggle and I am terrified of getting very I'll again. I've recently seen my GP who is also helping with long term and incurable problem with my spine. I am due to see him soon to discuss this and if medication would help with the anxiety. I am signed off work to see if that was going to help but it hasn't really. Are there particular meds for anxiety? I see Pregablin mentioned a lot. Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wedgewood, hope to god you are not feeling as bad as me, ,why do I feel so bad ?. pregabalin, only took 28x 25mg caps over 21 days and became addicted to it, good for some people, but not for me, am reducing, and feel worse whilst doing so, am legless  and in awful pain today, it has done awful things to me. I just want everyone to know it can be addictive, and is not easy to get off.  I was moderatly anxious before I took it, weigh up all the pros and cons before you take it. xx rosie.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that the drug didn't work for you. There are so many other things you could try and I hope you have a good GP. Thanks so much for your input. Have you managed to stop taking it now?
  • Posted

I dont think medication is the only route. The NICE guidelines dont recommend it as a stand alone treatment ( and it has never helped me). Its a behavioural issue (unless you have an imblance) So I would ask for either some CBT therapy - you may just need a top up on therapy or some talking therapy. Some tips for the short term which have helped me: do not worry about the future, or even the rest of the day. Try to think that what you are doing in the present is what you have control over. In that way, it doesnt become overwhelming. Put aside a time of worry, say 6pm and don't address any of your worries until then. By doing this you are not saying they dont matter, you are just allocating them a time wherby you can get more order into the rest of your day. 

Most importantly you said you returned to a 'normal life' this is great and shows you that you are capable of reaching this point, and will do again. x 

• Posted

I totally agree, medication alone is not the best and I have nothing but good things to say about counselling. I've only ever had talking therapies and never undergone  a proper course of CBT. I'll certainly be pursuing that. Your tips are really helpful though and it's a case of trying to retrain your brain I guess. 

I know I can tackle this as I've been in much darker places in the past. This is why I want to do everything I can now rather than let it get worse. Thanks so much x

• Posted

You're very welcome. I know how it feels to have been to a dark place too and its so good that you can distinguish what you are feeling now and back to that time. You are a different person to then with more knowledge and experience so you will tackle this. I don't think there is anything more interesting than a person who has lived and died a few times in their life, theyre the people worth meeting & talking to. Dont disapair  x
    • Posted

Ahh, thanks so much. You've been wonderfully supportive. Back to GP tomoz 😓

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.