Treatment for osteoporosis.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Do these infusions work? Are they considered very dangerous? Serious side effects please? Due one in a month? is it every three months and for how long does one have to attend hospital?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello I dont have Osteoperis -butosteoarthritis

I hope you find the answers to your queries

good luck

• Posted

yes for people I know it works up to 6 months to a year and and others it didn'tdo anything. If you don't have any birth defects like Spina Bifida it's perfectly safe. You will be fine and I hope you get relief from it.

• Posted

Doctors prescribe bisphosphonates to treat osteoporosis but these drugs can have serious side effects There is plenty of information on the internet Read up on the effect of those drugs then make a informed choice whether you want to take them or not

• Posted

Hi Mags 355, what I was actually enquiring about are infusions once every 'three months' or once annually in a hospital setting. I cannot take the tablet form of biphosphonates but am expecting an infusion shortly! I am concerned about necrosis of the jaw, therefore cannot make an informed decision yet!

• Posted

Make another appointment with your consultant who is in charge of your case and ask him/her if you can deal it has you want more answers from him. i had the epidural injection last year and because of other medical conditions like Spina Bifida it was nit the right decision, has i mentioned before i know some people that bad it done and it has given relief and others it hasn't. don't be afraid to ask your consultant more questions.

i wish you all the best

• Posted

HI Annamarie, yes I realise you're asking about infusions, but they are still bisphosphonates, with the same side effects as the tablet form, e.g. necrosis of the jaw, brittle bones, spontaneous femur fracture, digestive problems, to name but a few. Consultants don't tend to tell you about the potential serious side effects, but there is plenty of information out there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.