Treatment for Post Herpetic Neuralgia

Posted , 19 users are following.

Any new or novel treatments for post Herpetic Neuralgia? Nothing has worked so far.

1 like, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Last four years I tried many creams and nothing have worked.

If you have any idea please write to me.

Ramesh

• Posted

Hello Ramesh:

Sorry I have no answers yet. Have tried many creams without success. Some people get relief from Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) available from Holland and the U.S. Am trying with no success yet. Medical marijuana is a possibility and is available in Canada. Maybe not where you are.

Merv

• Posted

Like you, Ramesh, I tried all kinds of topicals... and shots by the pain doctor... but nothing killed the pain ... until finally I was given Percoset.  I am not a drug pusher, but I do not see the value of suffering when I have a choice (until the government takes it away biggrin 

• Posted

EMA401 is being developed by Novartis and their website says it is due for "filing" in 2020. 

My pain is affected by the weather (post stroke regional pain syndrome).  Anyone else notice that?

• Posted

I have heard of EMA401 but do not know what it is.  But that's a lot of years between now and 2020.

• Posted

Mervyn

I have suffered from Post Herpetic Neuralgia now for 21 months, and I have found a topical mixture that gives great relief from the intense pain.

I have posted this recipe several times, but repeat it for new sufferers.

My topical mixture works very well to relieve pain and reduce the need for analgesics.

The mixture is 250grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream, two five gram tubes of Aciclovir Cold Sore Cream, and 65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel.

Mix thoroughly and apply sparingly to the scar area and any new troublesome areas, as required for pain relief.

This mixture gives immediate relief from pain, and it dramatically reduces the need for pain relief drugs. Apply as often as required for pain relief. 

Also, one Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg capsule taken daily desensitises the nervous system and reduces the pain.

I have found this topical treatment to be very effective in reducing PHN pain,   and the need for analgesics. It is quite inexpensive, as this quantity should last two to four months, depending on application frequency.

Best of luck in your search for relief from this debilitating complaint.

Regards, Ray

• Posted

Hi Raymond

Thanks for posting this.  I have a question?

Can you store this mixture once done to use another

time when needed?

Sincerely,

Paul

• Posted

Hi Ray:

Thanks for your response and recipe. I will give it a "try". This is indeed a nasty and debilitating ailment.

merv

• Posted

I have stored this mixture for many months without adverse affects, but you could mix half the quantity at one time if you think you may not need that much.

The Aciclovir pack recommends storing below 25 degrees centigrade, and do not refrigerate, so these are the only limitations I have encountered.

I am sure you will get great benefit from this treatment.

Regards, Ray.

• Posted

Thanks will let you know and thank you for the primrose oil, will get

that tomorrow

Paul

• Posted

The Primrose Oil is readily available in Canada, but the Dencorub appears to be an Australian product with a low price but very high shipping costs. Invite Vit. E cream is also an Australian brand, but there are many other brands available. The aciclovir cream is by Dr.'s  prescription.I'll try to put these all together.

• Posted

Mervyn

Yes I am in Australia. No doubt similar products are available in Canada.

Invite Vitamin E Cream contains 50mg of glycerol, per 100grams, so it does not form a skin with continual use, as other creams do.

Dencorub Heat Gel is the strongest and cheapest pain killing Gel available in Australia. The formula is 26 percent Methyl Salicylate and 7 percent Menthol. No doubt you have a similar product in Canada.

Aciclovir is available in Australia from discount chemists, at $7 per 5gram tube, with no prescription.

I am sure you can find a suitable product in Canada. It is well worth the effort.

Regards, Ray.

• Posted

Mervyn

I misquoted the formula for Invite Vitamin E Cream. 

It has 50mg of Glycerol per gram, so it is completely different to the water based Vitamin E Creams. It also has 100mg per gram of Vitamin E.

Kind regards, Ray.

• Posted

Ray:

Thanks for this update on the ingredients for Invite Vit. E and Dencorub. I'll look for locally available equivalents.

merv

• Posted

Soundds good... but my paiin is skin, the largest organ in the body.  sad   

• Posted

Carol, my pain also is the skin and the only thing that helps minimally is the 4% lidocaine over the counter pain and itch cream that you can get without a prescription here in the US.  Also I often will take a cool shower and then the cream.. Percoset didn't even touch it!

• Posted

Hi Ruth:  I am in the U.S.  Problem for me and my skin is that it covered my body!  That's why I am on Percoset, which does the trick and with minimal side effects.  Occasionally I "experiment" to see if the PHN has gone away, (in which case I would happily detox) but it's still with me!  Patches?  II need to be a walking patch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.