Treatment Option

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had generalised Granuloma Annulare for9 years. It is red, large and mainly on my neck and forearms. I was referred for the first time to a Consultant Dermatologist. He has prescribed an anti biotic called Doxycycline and an ointment called Protopic. I have to take one tablet per day and apply the ointment once a day and continue both for 3 months. Has anyone else had this treatment? If so was it successful? I would be grateful for any views or opinions.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I haven't heard of that one. I'm on minocycline twice a day which is also a tetracycline like yours. My derm also has me taking paquanil twice a day for 2 months with both drugs. I've been taking them for 1 month so far. I'm still getting new spots, but not as bad!

• Posted

Thanks for replying, Your treatment is interesting. I am having problems with the anti biotic. Have been on it for 3 days now and it is making me violently sick. Will need to speak to my G.P. Tomorrow. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

I've not had any problem. I don't know if there is a big difference in tolerance between the 2. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Cob I was wondering if you have tried a clean diet ? I have GA go 3 years and I have been on methodraxate,steroids,creams. Nothing worked until I tried a clean diet. I have been on for 5 months now and finally seeing results. And I have it all over my body. My arms are finally clear. I can finally wear a short sleeve shirt. Good luck I hope you find what works for you.
    • Posted

I have not tried a clean diet. I've had my GA one year and have thousands maybe millions of spots everywhere. I still wear shorts and sleeveless tops. I have a tan from golfing. With a tan they aren't a noticable. I'm fortunate in they are the raised circle ones. I really don't want to do a clean diet, because I like to eat. I have Type 1 diabetes, so do restrict sweets. I have a terrible sweet tooth too. Glad the diet is working for you!! It is such a weird condition.

• Posted

I agree it is a weird condition. I live in Florida and the sun makes my spots worse. But hard to avoid sun in Florida. And did I mention I love the sun. Lol and food but hate these spots. I have RA and I am told people who have autoimmune disease are more likely to get this disease.
    • Posted

I will persevere for a few more days as my system may acclimatise to the drug. I will see how it goes. If I can't take it the consultant said he would refer me to a camouflage makeup service to show me how to cover it!

• Posted

I also have diabetes. I think that is key info and a common thread—autoimmune and endocrine diseases. 

Clean diet will clean up spots. Antibiotics and steroids will make them worse. I think candida is one of the issues. 

• Posted

Agree on auto-immune tendencies and endocrine problems...I have a small prolactinoma in my pituitary.  It is treated though, and the  GA does not go away.  My sugar has been a little high but not in the diabetes range. 

I was told it is hereditary and not much can be done about it.  I have six distinct lesions on my forearms and am going to try some non-Rx solutions, safe ones, just to see if one gets better...a different solution to each lesion. Will get back if I discover something.

• Posted

The only way I can tolerate doxy is to eat a potato before taking it.  A small one.  Or mashed potato.  Someone told me this and it really helped.

• Posted

Which diet are you doing?  I am going to start AIP after Easter.  I eat really clean and it hasn't helped.  No dairy, no glute, no grains, lots of greens, veg and moderate organic meats.  I will give up night shades, eggs, all seeds and nuts and all sugars.  It will stink, but I am desperate.  I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.