Treatment programmes

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all

I was diagnosed with CFS a couple of months ago after being ill for a year following glandular fever. I'm under an NHS CFS team and am doing pacing, eating well, supplements, mindfulness, sleep hygiene etc and have improved well with these things to the point that I am generally ok symptom-wise unless I go over my 'activity limits', which is great.

I have been off work months and a gradual return has been agreed for me which I really really want to be successful (I trained for years for my profession, enjoy what I do and am reliant on it to pay mortgage). I feel like I'm at a bit of a plateau and not yet well enough to start return to work.

I've seen from research on Internet that there are various programmes by DVD etc to help brain retraining to help overcome CFS (not sure I can mention particular company names on here). I would acknowledge that a combination of major life stresses probably contributed to my personal illness so I'm open to psychologically-targeted treatments. I'm just wondered if any of you have tried any of these programmes and, if so, whether they helped at all?

Many thanks

R x

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, i c thought i was reading my own story! Have you started back to work yet & if so, how is it going? I am on a phased but once i hit 5 hours (i do 7.30 per day) all my symptoms started coming back

• Posted

Hiya. Not I've not started my phased return but hope to start it in August. My symptoms have been misbehaving recently so I've been worrying if I'm going to manage it - I'm happy to cut my hours if necessary (I'll just have to work out the finances somehow) if I can manage 5 hours a day that would probably do... are you still working part time or had to stop again?

• Posted

Hi Rosie

My employer suggested I reduce hours due to my sickness record. I am well supported by my manager and found it helped. Phased return never worked for me as I was still working 5 days a week. I was coping really well working Thurs and Fri however lapsed again due to overdoing it on my non working days. I find the balance really difficult to find and get frustrated. Unfortunately there is no magic pill to help. I have found stress to be a huge contributory factor and having to deal with HB and Tax Credit certainly doesn't help. Stay strong

Kind Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.