Treatment resistant depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

ive been severely depressed for the past 18 months. also have awful anxiety. have been on every med and med combo from A to Z. with. no. relief. i have treatment resistant depression. anyone else suffering from this condition? all input welcome and appreciated. peace and blessings to us all. anna.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

have you tried the new antidepressants pristiq etc sometimes the antidepressants take months to work

• Posted

tried everything and still trying . so despondent. does it work for you?

• Posted

I've been diagnosed with treatment resistant depression. It feels like a pretty hopeless place to be. Like you, I've tried so many different types and combos. But as my psychiatrist keeps telling me, there are always other options to try and new treatments coming out. There's a lot of excitement about ketamine but it's still very expensive here as not available on the NHS yet.

It's exhausting to keep changing meds in the hope we'll find a combination that works. But the other option doesn't sound great either..

• Posted

we can only continue to try and hope that something will work. dont know about you, but my depression is debilitating. crippling. i dread waking up to fight another day of hell. its a serpent eating its tail, dont you find? i isolate myself mainly in my bed and yet loneliness is killing me. lets stay in touch awhile and support each other. have you considered ECT? it may be my next desperate option early next year when i have medical aid funds.

• Posted

I agree, it is crippling. Most days I wish would be my last. I've lost my business, my self respect and I think soon my husband. It's been a long two and half years.

How long have you tried each medication or combo for? My psychiatrist told me that it takes 8 - 12 weeks for each one to reach it's full potential. So with all the different SSRI's, SNRI's, tricyclics and MAOI's there are, plus the mood stabilizers it would take quite a few years before medication can be ruled out. So don't give up on medication yet, there will be other combinations to try.

We have discussed ECT but she doesn't want me to go down that route yet.

• Posted

HI I have tried all sorts, but I am also menopausel, on Citalopram at the moment 10mg, makes me feel angry,

• Posted

i too have lost my self-respect plus more. i also had the DNA tests at huge cost to my sister as i am not employed. The tests show what wont work rather than what will, so they are best run early in depression to save us from years of drug trial and error. have tried some for several months, others for six weeks and others for less than that due to unbearable side effects.

we must keep fighting .... problem is - what with?

• Posted

i just got it done not too long ago. I switched doctors and showed my report, but they acted like they had never seen one. However, the new medicine he gave me was a good one for me according to my report. We will see.

The doctor that had me do the tests thought the tests gave good information though. I quit seeing her because she was not a psychiatrist and I felt I needed to switch to one because I was not getting better with the NP.

• Posted

Have y'all tried Symbyax? It is a combo pill of olanzapine and prozac.It is for treatment resistant drpression. I'm taking it now for depression and anxiety. I felt great my first week on it, then go extreme anxiety the second week. Now I've started my 3rd week and still have anxiety and my mood is lowering. I've tried 5 different drugs in 5 months and it seems like nothing is goung to work ! 😦

• Posted

oh no ... not you too. its soul destroying

• Posted

Hi Susan

Are you like others trying to get happy again?

I think this is largely due to hormones, but then again its kind of the same if your neurotransmitters are low..due to meno like we know about,then maybe the right ad could help.

Im struggling as well..not sure if im even able to get better..its almost out of my control..like..what does one do?

xoxo

• Posted

HI I have got worse since April this year, tired 2 different antidepressants, now citalopram, don't feel any better yet, also have the erge to wee more, plus tirdness, have fibromyalgia as well,

• Posted

Hi ladies, after walking out a few weeks back and now being counted by the police as a vulnerable person i have discovered the physical practical i could be entitled to but all that support doesn't support your mental health and depression, when you're sat at home sobbing! I have point blank refused antidepressants because i know if i can get some part time work so i can get a little money for myself that will really help me personally. As for the mental help the combination of my doctor (although she's the one who suggested the antidepressants) and more importantly my counsellor is getting more of the real me back than any pills. Doctors will chuck pills at you, there's a little word called NO that really helps. Please take a really long hard think about ANY antidepressants ever, it can easily do more harm than good. Good luck to everyone on here find an alternative it might do you more good than pills!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.