Treatments for GA Monster

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi girls, NJ here.     I am just starting the ROM treatment.   Have any of you heard of the Eximer Laser?    Insurance approved me for that also, a study was done where they lasered off the lesion and it never came back.    Sounds promising if this dosent work.     Mine started out with two and the original one is comin mine started out with two now I have about 20 arms and legs and the original one that was on the top of my hand is gone seems that cortisone killed that one....      i'm so sorry ladies that you're going through this it is horrible !!!!      How the hell could they not know how to treat this ??????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i underwent excimer laser treatment. twice a week for 18 weeks.  after 12 weeks, my doctor added minocycline to my treatment plan. have to say the discoloration from the laser treatment looked worse than the GA at the onset.  it's been 10 weeks since i stopped laser treatment and the discoloration is fading and some areas of the GA seem to be in remission. honestly not sure if it was the laser alone or the laser combined with the minocycline. i'm still taking the minocycline, so maybe it's that.  crazy that no doctor can get a handle on this.  luckily my most severe areas of GA are under clothing but i havent been able to enjoy a massage for years now because it's so embarassing and honestly i'm quite tired of trying to explain it to people.  keep us posted on your treatment and success.

• Posted

Any luck with the laser?  How did you find a doctor with that laser?  Thanks
    • Posted

mixed results. the spots on my inside elbows have cleared up the most. interesting thst they are the oldest spots. hard to say with the spots on my thighs, as the discoloration from the laser treatment hasn't gone away yet. kind of brownish bruising looking areas. the spots behind myknees have cleared up somewhat and the spot on my foot has not changed at all. interesting that the spots on my top foot are in a definite ring shape, all my other spots were scattered.  didn't know my derm did excimer laser treatment. i simply visited her to find out what the spots were, she did a biopsy, confirmed GA and recommended various treatments.  i am just extremely lucky insurance paid for it 100%, otherwise it would have been very expensive. the more i read that this is an autoiummune condition, the more i'm convinced my next step is to visit a naturopath and see where we can go from there.  

• Posted

Wow! You are super lucky insurance approved you! I'm in Wedtern NY and there aren't any derms that even offer the excimer laser but I did read a study on the efficacy of that treatment. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I started using a product that is originally intended to Soothe rosacea and psoriasis but it's reduced the redness from my GA in only a few weeks of use.  I have suffered with the embarrassment for 20 years??. Keep us posted on your results of ROM and laser!  

• Posted

Hi I am in the U.K. I have had GA for 8 years now. Recently it has become severe. It is all over my arms, around my neck, on the top of my back and is now starting on my legs. I saw a Derm consultant who gave me Doxycycline, an anti biotic. Have been taking it for 3 weeks now but so far no change. My GA is very red and very noticeable. I wear long sleeves the whole time. I'm interested in the product you mention that soothes Rosacea and Psoriasis. Could you let me know what the product is please. Many thanks.. 

• Posted

7 weeks ago my derm started me on 200mg of minocycine (same class of drug) twice a day plus Paquinal 200mg twice a day. I do not have any new spots and mine have faded so much especialy on my arms. I have little spots everywhere and big brown areas on my legs and hands. Having a tan has helped them be less noticeable. The 2 medications has definitely helped lighten them,.He said it could take up to 2 months. I see my derm on Tuesday. He talked about doing ROM next. We'll see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.