Tremors and Body wide twitching.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, Im a 18 year old male and have been experiencing a tremor in my head, face, hands and also body wide twitching. The twitching came first, it started around 1 and a half years ago, it was only a few small twitches here and there to start with but has now progressed into constant thumping twitches that happen every 30 seconds or so. I have also, over the past year, developed tremors, I had a small tremor in my hands when i held them out against gravity and when i was using my phone with one hand. There wasn't much progression in my hand tremors and It didnt really bother me , although it was still present. Around 6 months after that, I began to notice a head shake when i was talking to a stranger face to face. Since that day it has been noticeable when having a conversation with someone and now even happens when I'm at home relaxed. My hands have got quite a bit worse when holding them in certain positions and now even my face is starting to tremor. For example when i close my eyes, i feel my eyelids shaking and when i smile my cheeks shake.

Considering I have always been a very anxious person both generally and socially, I put the symptoms down to that. However, only since I've had the head tremor, I have been pretty much housebound in fear of embarrassment, where as before it was only mild anxiety. It is literally ruining my life and I'm scared that its only gonna get worse from here.

I went to see a psychiatrist for anxiety while i was abroad, when the head shakes were still mild. She give me propranolol and Xanax. Neither of them had any affect and just made me feel tired. Ive also tried exercising more, which makes them worse afterwards. Ive tried changing my diet and cutting gluten. Ive tried CBD oil for a few weeks. Ive tried magnesium B12 and calcium supplements. All to no avail. The only thing that does help is to have a few drinks, but i cant do that forever, haha.

Ive read up alot on essential tremor, which im assuming it could be. Although it did progress quite quickly and its also rare to have a head tremor with that condition at this age. Im going to see a neurologist as soon as i can and im praying it can be corrected. Im too sensitive to this kind of thing. 

Would appreciate any thoughts and feedback on what it might be or anything else to try before visiting a neurologist and all the rest.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Find a good neurologist. It's probably nothing, but you need a good neuropolgist to rule in or out something ore serious.

• Posted

Did you figure out what the issue is? What is your CAG? I am a 41CAG age 36. my left eye lid has been twitching for a month and now my left calf. Its driving me insane. My neurologist thinks it could be stress or HD. pretty scary.

• Posted

Hi mate, Im still twitching and I still havent got a clue what it is, been waiting for a neurologist appointment for about 5 months now, im from the UK, NHS have long waiting lists. My appointment is in 1 month, ill let you know what they say. Im assuming its nothing bad considering I have had it for around 2 years now with no visible progression. I think most of the time its just due to anxiety/stress or lack of certain vitamins. Maybe have a look online for natural remedies and try some supplements such as magnesium, calcium, vitamin D because if you are deficient, it can make you twitch like crazy. Also what is CAG? never heard of that abbreviation.

• Posted

Twitching can come from irritation or stress. If its conditional then there is no need to worry, but if its frequent then its a cause for concern and you should see the doctor.

• Posted

Hello, it's been 4 years since you asked this question, but I'm wondering if it still continues or if there is an increase. I am 19 years old. I've been going through the exact same thing as you for 3 years. It looks like we have the same problem. in hands, percent while smiling, tremors in the eyelids, head and even the tongue. there are intermittent twitches throughout the body. If you see it, please reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.