Tri-malleolar with dislocation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fell down the stairs on 6 Dec 2017 and broke my left ankle in 3 places and dislocated my foot.  I was taken into  hospital as in-patient and had a back slab plaster.  After 4 days I developed fracture blisters and had to have urgent surgery and had an external fixator put in place.  Had few days at home and then back for surgery to remove fixator and have plates, screws and wires put in.  Was in another back slab for 21/2 weeks then stitches removed and lightweight plaster on for 4 weeks then into ortho boot and partial wb for 6 weeks and then fb 4 weeks.  Boot discarded and fwb and physio.  There were some problems with skin breaking down where plaster blisters had been but all healed now.

In last couple of weeks have been experiencing pain as though being irritated by metalwork.  Has anyone else had these problems?  Still have swelling in ankle during day and becomes very sore. sad

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo, 

Sorry you've gone through all that! Terrible pain isn't it? 

You could be feeling the metal work for sure. My doc told me this is possible. I can't say I have this as of yet. I am 4 weeks today Post Op.  I was feeling great 2 days ago and yesterday probably pushed it to much cleaning and some out side things. So I've been a bit more sore/ pained today. 

Ask your doc what is going on. 

And good luck!

Rose

• Posted

Getting to see or speak with my Doctor is easier said than done!  I am 22 weeks post op today and feeling pretty downhearted at present because of various problems I have encountered along the way.  However, I can walk again which is great but my activities are pretty well governed by the amount of swelling that occurs during the day.  You say you are 4 weeks post op, did you also have tri-malleollar?  
    • Posted

Hi Jo, 

No, that was not my surgery or injury. I had ligament and tendon and reconstruction on my right ankle and a MTP fusion on my left foot joint.  That is the one that is only 4 weeks out of. 

My fusion is plates and screws and the doc said they may have to come out which I'm not looking forward to! 

Seek more info if need be. I don't think you should be having that much pain after 22 weeks! 

Rose 

• Posted

Hello,

At the beginning of February, I twisted my whole ankle trying to step over a heap of clothes, debris from my linen closet during maintenance work on my bathroom, and misjudged my step. I had a Bi malleolar. Break on my tibia, and fractured my fibula. I had a plate and 2 screws put in, and during these past few months of healing didn't really notice my hardware too much, but now that time has gone by and I'm fwb, I am starting to really feel it for some reason. My Dr. said I can take my plate out later if it was too uncomfortable/irritating but that the screws have to stay in. At first I felt I can leave it in but now contemplating getting my plate out as it feels like it's hindering my walking rather than helping as it feels so stiff on that side of my ankle and I have to keep my foot straight. I don't have that full flexibility to turn my foot. Plus now that I am fwb, after a day of off and on walking, like in and out of stores, my ankle swells up pretty bad, and is painful, so then I have to stay off it again for a day or two afterwards. I know that the healing takes time too, so I am trying to be patient. It's sometimes one step forward, two steps back, and then forward again. I hope my experience helps :-)

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your input.  It sounds like some of the problems I am encountering.  I am trying to be optimistic.  Unfortunately my medic says it will be difficult to remove some of my metalwork as the skin is so thin and may not heal properly, hence my paranoia!

many thanks for your input, it helps to know that there are others in the same boat.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hey Jo,

I recently slipped in an ice storm that resulted in my trimalleolar fracture and dislocation. I just got the stitches and staples out and have moved into the lighter cast. It sounds like there is a long road ahead. I haven't noticed much swelling in the new cast but I assume that will change once I am allowed to partial wb. I can't give any advice yet on the metalwork feeling but I hope it's nothing serious.

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.