Trial and error - think I've found something

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter's rash started to flare up again and she became very fatigued - so I tried nurofen 200 mg and an antihistamine - which resulted in her feeling better with increased energy levels.  May have been a placebo effect, but worth a try?

My rationale was that if this is an autoimmune reaction, then by suppressing the immune response with anti-histamine and reducing the inflammation with a low dose anti-inflammatory might help - and seems to have done.  I shall keep a log from now on as my own study.  Like dealing with a crying baby - it helps to keep busy trying something new.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Any results?
    • Posted

Seems to be working in terms of keeping the rash at bay - absolutely no clincial evidence - but even if it's just placebo, it's improving her quality of life.
    • Posted

I am going to start trying benedryl with my son. Dealing with hsp since early december. We are tpering of the steroid (not sure if it ever worked). If anything the benedryl should make him sleepy and maybe allow him to have a night of rest without pain or throwing up.
    • Posted

let me know how it goes - the steroids are really to prevent further pressure or kidney damage - they don't really address the rash.  The antihistamine we use is loratadine or cetirizine.  They cause less drowsiness.  The NHS website in the UK reports that antihistamines are known to help with eczema (which is auto-immune) so maybe this is why they are working?  Keep me posted with your progress or PM me.
    • Posted

It's too early to tell but the first night was pretty good. He slept through the night. In my son's case the sterioid is for the belly pain.

In his case the belly pain has been the hardest simpton to deal with. When it started the first time he was in a lot of pain, in the emergency room they were giving him morfin in the IV (they were pretty clueless btw) eventually his pediatrician figured it out. It has been up and down since then. First week was pretty horrible not being able to eat or drink for 5 days and lots of pain, then he had a relatively normal week, he even went to school 1 day and he started another week of fun vomiting 4-5 times a day without being able to eat or drink, the following week agian pretty normal (with managable pain). Now pain comes and goes pretty randomly. 

• Posted

Didn't work. back in the hospital

IV, more steroids, morfin, ...

• Posted

Oh I am sorry to hear that.  Steroids are unusual for abdo pain.  Have they tried mebeverine?  it's much less aggressive?
    • Posted

Or buscopan could help too? I was on morphine, steroids as well as buscopan and paracetamol when first diagnosed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.