Trial and errror Mirt and another antidepressant?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have history of anxiety/depression, which got worse this past year. I finally saw a psychiatrist in November as I was still struggling badly after 8 weeks of various dosages of Sertraline. She recommended 30mg Mirtazapine which worked amazingly well. Stayed on 50mg Sert as well. She gave me some leeway in finding the best 'balance' in the medications and trusts that I won't do anything too drastic.

However I started to put on weight quickly and had very bad 'wind' so she suggested cutting the Mirtazapine to 15mg, this was after 4 weeks. I started to experience some anxiety after 2 weeks of cutting the Mirt so have resumed the 30mg. I am thinking I now want to cut out the Sertraline altogether as I don't think it ever really agreed with me, so will slowly taper that down to nothing. I think the Mirt will stop the anxiety coming back however I still have weight/wind problem sad

Has anybody found a good balance between Mirt and another antidepressant that doesn't make them gain weight rapidly and yet keeps the horrible anxiety way? Also how did you introduce the second med without side effects? Or has anyone found that 15mg of Mirt on its own is enough to keep it away (if I tapered down more slowly)?

Thanks for any help. Just need a good balance that I can stay on long term.

Jean

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean. Mirt on its own worked well for me for a few years. However, I had to stay on 30mg. But there really isn't any difference between 15 and 30mg as regards weight gain. Unfortunately mirtazapine often causes weight gain even at 7.5mg and even lower. It has a two pronged effect, making you hingrier and crave caarbs, as well as lowering your metabolic rate or interfering with the way your body metabolises fat making you actually NEED fewer calories to stay the same weight. I was able to lose all the weight I gained whilst I was still on 30mg of mirt but it was very hard going with strict diet and lots of exercise. It was worth it for the lovely sleep it gave me and how it kept my depression and anxiety at bay. But then after almost 4 years it suddenly stopped working and so I am coming off it. I am now on 7.5mg and it is ever so slightly better with regards to my appetite and weight, but not a huge amount of difference, I'm afraid. What I am saying is that it is a brilliant AD and that you CAN fight the weight gain, but it is hard and you have to decide if it's worth it.
    • Posted

Evergreen that's great info, thank you very much. That's basically what I'm after, people's experiences and what's worked for them. Shame it stopped working for you. Will you try another AD?

Jean

• Posted

I've actua;;y discovered something else which really works well for me. When mirtazapine stopped working for me I was plunged back into insomnia, depression and anxiety. It doesn't work for my insomnia, unfortunately, but it does work for my depression and anxiety. It also helps lift my husbands dark moods and helps him cope with work stress. It is inositol powder (aka B8). It has been proved by several scientific studies to work as well as anti-depressants if taken in large enough quantities. I take 12-18 grams a daay or up to two large heaped teaspoons. With this, I have been able to wean down to 7.5mg of mirt with virtually no withdrawal symptoms and feel better in my mood than I have done for tems of years. Downside of taking so much is that it gives you wind! But that's getting lots better.  So no more ADs for me... hopefully. Good luck if you decide to stay on the mirt. It lifted me out of such a dark place and I will always be grateful for that. It is the best AD in my opinion.
    • Posted

Wish you all the best on your road to being AD free! They certainly have a lot to not like about them. However that feeling of desperateness is still very clear in my mind and I know I need to be stable for a good while so Mirtazapine it is for now...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.