Trial of void

Posted , 5 users are following.

Tomorrow I'm going back to hospital for catheter removal and another trial of void. I'll be 10 days post anterior/posterior repair. I'm so hoping to be able to pee on my own. I'm so nervous.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn’t know they let people out post op with a catheter?

Where are you, is that normal practice?

Good luck by the way xxx

• Posted

Hi

Yehh I failed to pass enough urine to not need a catheter so they sent me home for a week. I had same surgery 25yrs ago and couldn't wee for 2 weeks but they kept me in hospital. I'm in Australia.

• Posted

Hi Kym

You would hope after 10 days some of the swelling has settled. Try and relax and adopt that heels up, lower arms leaning on legs and abdo/tummy relaxed in a dropped position. This relaxes pf muscles not sure if I have mentioned this before to you. Imagine you are in a pool and you just have to pee ( I know you would never do that!)

Remember mind body connection.. ..tell your body what it needs to do. Keep in this mindset and you will create the outcome you want.

Wishing the best for you

Let us know how you go so we can celebrate!

Peta (Australia)

• Posted

Thanks Peta ... I'll definitely be trying ... whilst relaxing ... 😉

• Posted

ggod luck hun im getting all my prolapses all three and coil well they have to find that first lol on the 23rd this month really getting rather nervous now . good luck and hope all goes well
  • Posted

Hi Kym04,

Wishing you the best and praying you can relax and just let it happen.

Regarding the question from Pollyward69 about leaving the hospital with a catheter, as I understand, it is fairly common. In talking with friends who have had the same surgery, most were surprised I did not have a catheter at home. I had no issues after my surgery with urinating, but I only had my bladder fall out with never having any incontinance except never really emptying my bladder completely. I am not sure if that makes any difference with the need for a catheter at home.

Again, praying for the best outcome possible!

• Posted

Oh really? Of course I’m only going on my limited experience!

I didn’t get out of bed until the catheter was out, I thought it would be uncomfortable to be walking around with it in!

• Posted

Seems like there is a big difference is the time you are given to recover in hospital from one country to another for the same surgery.
    • Posted

Still at the hospital been here for 7.5hrs. Last residual was 205mls. Can only seem to pee out half of wot is in my bladder. One more try and they call the doctor again and decide wot to do .... miserable right now
    • Posted

Last residual 165mls and they r letting me go home without the catheter. So scared I might retain over night like last time. Get out 2 the car after 8hrs in hospital and car battery dead. Hour later new battery and off on the 2.5hr drive home. Thanks for listening ladies..

This forum is amazing.

• Posted

What a day!!! Sure hope you made it home safely and that you are soon having normal bladder relief (whatever normal is besides just a setting on the dryer...haha and ugh).

You have been through so I suggest rest...rest....and a little more rest!

• Posted

Hi Brenda

When I asked in hospital when I could expect some sort of normal bladder function or pee a proper constant stream they just said everyone is different.... any ideas? Days, weeks, months even ....

• Posted

Kym you poor darling!

What a day for you in hospital. I know I am a few hours behind now but I hope things are improving.

You will get past this it may take a little longer for you than others.

Peta

• Posted

So sorry, Kym04, unfortunately folks at the hospital are right as far as everyone is different. My bladder started functioning pretty well the very next day. I am not sure if it has to do with the problems a person is having that causes them to get the repair or not. My only problem with my bladder before surgery was that I had such severe prolonged coughing that I coughed my bladder right out of me. I never had any leakage or incontenance, but I really don’t know.  I guess we are all learning lessons in patience! Praying your patience is rewarded very soon. Take care of yourself!

• Posted

Hi Brenda

You are right we just have to be patient. I didn't have any incontinence issues before my surgery either. Just a twin pregnancy that proved too heavy and ruined my first repair. Pity I wasn't told about that way back in 1992 before I had the surgery but anyway. On that occasion exact same surgery supra pubic catheter for full 2 weeks. Couldn't pee a drop! Least this time around there's some bladder improvement!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.