trichotillomania disorder - needs help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm 25 years old and since the age of 7, when I started school,

I started pulling hair .

as a child I didn't have body hair so I pulled my eyelashes and eyebrows.

as pubirty hit...and I started becoming hairy on other places I started 

pulling with tweezers .

my legs, my bikini lines, my armpits . everywhere I could. 

up until now, that my entire body is covered with scars , i decided to look up the problem . 

it appears to be a condition and luckily for me, I'm not the only one who has it. 

they call it "trichotillomania" , and experts believe it's because of trauma, anxiety and stress. 

sounds pretty reasonable to me ... because I suffer from stress since I remember myself. 

still , the issue remains a mistery and there is no REAL treatment ot medicinal treatment for this kind of problem.

because I pull hair on delicate areas , I have an in-grown hair problems and I need to dig with tweezers to pull the hair out, and it injures me and it leaves loads of scars.

I can't stop. if I'm not pulling it drives me crazy.

I have to pull at least an hour a day , it relaxes me so much ...

but I feel ashamed of my body, I wear long pants during summer cause my legs look aweful... 

if there is somebody out there who have faced this kind of problem or know someone close to him who suffers from it and has ways to treat this madness... please, 

I beg you, let me know, sad 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi iggyzi i suffer from what you have i pull my hair on my scalp ive been doing so since 16 im now nearly 32 im suffering i even have hair on my head. Unfortunately I haven't been able to stop doing it i have gone three months without pulling last year but because I started going through a really stressful time I began pulling again. Sorry I cant offer any advice on how to stop just no your not alone. Its so hard to stop and i know what you mean when you say its relaxing when you pull.
    • Posted

thank you so much allison for commenting and supporting, 

I thought I was madly insane at the beginning till I discovered this is a real condition ... 

I hope one day we could find a way to stop pulling without having to take meds . 

• Posted

Thats ok iggyzi your defiantly not alone it is a shamful type illness well I get embarrassed and hide my pulling people wouldn't understand i dont think. Its the hardest thing to stop doing no matter what I cant stop its madding. I hope we one day have the power to over Come it
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems

Dont beat yourself about it try and do some research into it and consider therapy

Stay Strong you are not alonecool Things will get better

• Posted

Hi iggyzi

Visit http://www.bfrb.org for news regarding treatment and support for trichotillomania and related disorders. Good luck. I know this is a painful thing to live with. x

• Posted

Hi

I used to have this condition. I changed my exercise routine a couple of year's ago and found that this stops me getting this type of tension. I used to do a few half hour aerobic/gym type sessions in a week which made no difference to my tension. Now my routine is to walk the dog outside two or three times a day for half an hour, and every evening whilst watching TV with my family I do 90 minutes of toning, weight training and stretching exercises. If I have days when I just sit all evening instead of exercising the tension returns.

Hope this helps someone!

Debra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.