Tricky ? Relating CIN & Bioligics/immunosuppressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

Just joined this forum, have posted here & will also post in my crohns forum.

20 years ago (aged 19) I had my first positive smear. Several LLTZ, cones & surgeries later they finally got rid of it (CIN 3). 

Now 20 years later, I went for my post pregnancy smear & that tested high grade. Went for my colonoscopy said prob CIN 2-3 again so did the LLEZT again & also tested me for hpv. That came back positive & high risk so wanted to do another colposcopy 6 months later. Went along & Dr said no signs of bad cells & I could go back to my GP & have a regular smear in 6 moths & if normal go yearly. 

Well had my smear 2 wks ago & got a call on Tuesday from my GPs saying I had severe abnormalities & cin 3 & needed to have colposcopy within 2 weeks. Am booked in next wk for that (again).

Now today I was due to go in to hospital tomorrow to start Stelera for my Crohn’s disease, having been on azathiaprine (imuran), Humira & remicade & they all had failed over a period of time, when I happened to mention to my IBD nurse about the latest CIN 3 issue & she said we’d have to cancel the treatment tomorrow & she needs to talk to head gastro. Since then I’ve done my research & seems there’s a link with immunosuppressants & biologics & cervical cancer?  I can’t get how it can come back so quickly & severe in such a short space of time, but the majority of time I’ve been on biologics & immunosuppressants. 

Has Anyone heard of a link between CC & certain medications? 

I’m gonna ask for a hysterectomy next week as it’s getting silly now but was just curious if anyone else had same issues?? 

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've heard similar. I'm on Sulfasalazine and It can cause a person to develop Non Hodgson Lymphoma, I'm due to go on Methotrexate soon and worry about what that can cause.

I had surgery on 3rd January (severe high grade cn3) the removed some of my womb and cervix, got the all clear two weeks ago and have to have a smear in six months, the worry is excruciating!!

I wish you all the best and hope you get good results.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I had that same surgery at 19 where they removed part of my cervix. I’ve spoken to my IBD team today & they’ve put treatment on hold as possibility the biologics have caused it. Now just need to see how bad it’s got next week but IBD team think I should push for a hysterectomy now so I can resume crohns treatment. X

• Posted

Crohns causes a weaker immune system. So it makes it harder for your body to fight off hpv infection. Also yes some medication may cause it as well. I heard like people with lupus who take med to stop their body from attacking healthy organ have weaker immune system because of it. Cuz the weaker the more the body wont fight as hard as to cause more damage idk if im making sense but its basically supressing the immune system and i think it maybe tje same for crohns but im mot sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.