Tried and tested remedy for GERD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a hernia and it is usually maintained very well with a daily lanzoprazole and occasional ranitidine on top at night, but lately I found that I was having a lot more problems and googled and found I had the symptoms of GERD, so set about finding remedies, and googling again it said on a medical site that almonds can be good for it, the nut.

So I bought some, as I don't like the skins, and some people find them rather unpalitable, I got "undressed" ones and had with some cashews, just two or three handfuls of them, cashews being a favourite of mine and sure enough, after a few days, my symptoms had calmed down a lot.

I had been getting, and I don't know if this will sound familiar to fellow sufferers of GERD, the tell tale feeling that a cat had sicked up some strong kit-e-kat in ones throat, a dreadful burning,stinging sensation, and a feeling that one had a cough but couldn't get the phlegm to come up, a nightmare scenario when you wake up with it and I did frequently, and I know that if like me you are on a daily lanzoprazole you are not really supposed to supplement with too many ranitidine or extra tablets, in any case they didn't, the tablets, appear to be cutting it sufficiently to warrant taking them, but the almonds, the "undressed" are available from Holland & Barrett, at least a weeks supply for about £4.50 a bag, seemed to alleviate the symptoms, I can only assume it is some chemical compound in almonds themselves, so I don't know, I feel better for a couple of handfuls late evening, so if you want to give it a go, feel free to try my remedy.

I did google for it first so its not come out of nowhere so to speak, with best wishes, Fiona

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona  Your almond trick,  I am going to try, now Im on my own since my partner passed.  Sleeping at night with so much acid reflux, because I slide down the bed    I was told to take a glass of milk before I go to bed to help with the reflux, BUT IM WILLING  to try your idea.  keep us posted  Thanks  Jocelyne from  Cambridge in the UK
  • Posted

Dear Fiona, well done for your successful method.. It's very good that you have found some relief through almonds. It might be better if you consult with your doctor since almonds and cashews may be a little fatty. And I have "experienced" the fact that a doctor's advice will not be replaced by searching the internet. Some methods - even drinking water sometimes - can make the symptoms of reflux dissappear but may not solve the root problem. I don't mean your method is wrong. I just mean you may also ask a doctor about it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.