Tried everything what's left?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have depression, anxiety and insomnia from it. I've been on Mirtazapine which I'm down to 15 from a high of 45 and now I'm starting Fluoxetine because the Mirtazapine just helped me sleep but gave me multiple side effects. I workout daily, meditate and eat a good diet and take supplements such as fish oil, turmeric that supposedly help depression. I've talked about my depression (lack of feelings) until I'm blue in the face but feel like I've gotten nowhere for the two years I've had depression.

My question to everyone is what is left for me to do I feel like crap coming off Mirtazapine and going on Fluoxetine and I don't know what more I can do at this point because I'm out of answers..

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Give fluoxetine at least 8 weeks and see whether it helps. You may experience some initial side effects, but these should become less intense within the first 2 weeks and disappear after ca. 4 weeks of treatment. It is a good drug that has helped many patients. I realise that the transition from mirtazapine to fluoxetine may feel difficult. If you wanted to ease the side effects, you could take 5 mg diazepam per day during the initial 1-2 weeks.

From what you wrote it looks like you're a rather responsible person who would be able to keep a strict diet, if necessary. I mention this because there is a group of way more efficient drugs out there, referred to as irreversible monoamine oxidase inhibitors (IMAO or MAOi, depending on where you live). Despite their potency, they are used these days only as the third line of treatment due to their potentially lethal interactions with other commonly used medications (ephedrine derivatives) and certain types of food (google 'cheese effect'wink. However, they excel in atypical depression and anxiety and show a therapeutic effect even in these patients who did not respond to SSRI/SNRI and tricyclics. If fluoxetine failed, I suggest you discuss this option with your pdoc.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply John and I hope it has a positive effect before too long because it's frustrating living life this way and I just want to feel like my old self again but it doesn't seem like I can get there. I will keep the other medications in mind if this doesn't work out, thanks again.

• Posted

You seem to be focused on medication but no mention of therapy. That sounds like your problem right there. Meds don't cure anxiety remember

• Posted

I'm currently seeing a therapist also, sorry I forgot to mention that too. I know the meds aren't the final answer to my issues I guess I'm just desperate for anything at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.