Tried namelfene, no good, what about antabuse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have tried namelfene but the side effects were so horrible I couldn't use it (I have children and a job and need to be able to function.) I am now wondering whether antabuse could help? I always wake up determined I won't drink that day, but by mid afternoon I'm stressed out and waiting for 6 o'clock so I can open a bottle of wine or 2. If I take antabuse I will know that I can't drink. I think that clarity would really help me. Do UK GPs prescribe it? Anyone found it helpful? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you are struggling with nalmefene, but have given it the usual 8-10 tablets to allow the side effects to reduce, then you could go back to your prescriber, explain this and ask to be prescribed naltrexone.  Naltrexone is of the same 'family' as nalmefene, and does the exact same thing, but is usually way, way easier to get adjusted too.

My opinion on antabuse is not good.  I have taken it and stayed sober out of fear of the results, but once the prescription was stopped after 6 months, it didn't take long for me to go back to drinking.  I had whiteknuckled  my way through the 6 months.  It does nothing to actually deal with the underlying pathways in the brain that have been changed by alcohol.

If you are not wanting to try naltrexone, then acamprosate will probably help you more and you should discuss that with your prescriber.  You still have to remain abstinent, but at least it is helping change those pathways in the brain.

• Posted

No I tried 2 days running but the side effects were so severe I can't try again. I don't see how I could ever get to the 8-10 day point. I was completely floored by it.

Will look into the other suggestions, thanks.

• Posted

Some people don't get on with nalmefene, and as long as you tried (eating a good meal BEFORE the tablet and drinking lots of water) then that is all you can do.

I have taken it myself and it took the first 2-3 tablets for the side effects to ease off, then they gradually reduced until the 9th tablet before they were completely gone.  For those first couple of times, it was horrible and you are right, it floored me too.  But then it got easier and easier after then.

• Posted

Hi Just Now

People have died using Antabuse. My Husbands detox nurse didn't even reccomend it as she has had patients vomitting with just a whiff of alcohol, one apparently in a well known Chemists when perfume was sprayed.

Have you thought of trying Naltrexone instead of Nalfamene? My Husband is having very good results with this.

You cant use it though if your liver function is poor apparently. I would advise you to go to your gp but none if them seem to know TSM

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

I would definitely suggest Naltrexone. It has worked wonders for me. The first couple of days I had some slight nausea and was maybe a little spacey but it went away and now no side effects what so ever. My doctor actually prescribed it to me to take everyday to help my sleeping as well. I'm so glad to hear you are not giving up. If something doesn't work after you've followed the instructions to the letter there is always another path. Just keep trying.

• Posted

I'll jump in on the Naltrexone recommendation. The nice thing about it is that not only is it easier to get used to compared to Nalmefene, you can talk to your doc about starting on a lower dose (even 1/4 pill, if you need to). Some even use between 1-5mg to help with their autoimmune diseases (look up "Low Dose Naltrexone"wink, just to give you an idea of how flexible it is. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.