Tried stopping Meclizine (Antivert)

Posted , 7 users are following.

I tried stopping my Medication because i was feeling better and I wanted to see if the vertigo wad gone.

Well now I feel bad again and have been having hheadache which us probaby a result of nit taking medication.

Has anyone experuenced the same thing?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

For me, meclizine not only didn't help but made me feel worse.
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

Taking meclizine is the only thing that helps me function with my daily things i need to do taking care of my grandchildre

And even cook dinner. If I Don t take it I am in bed the whole time.

This whole thing is so stessful and find myself so depressed.

• Posted

Hi Angie..I was told that Meclizine is only a like taking tyenol.....You can not take it for a long time.......So please be careful.......................
    • Posted

Thank You Rita

I was told by my doctor I could take it 3 times a day. I am doing that but only half a pill. I am going to verify that because i do not need another problem.

• Posted

I only took it a couple times because my ENT doctor told me that the less you take it, the faster your condition will clear up. Hmm, hasn't cleared up so far, but I was never that naseous with it, so I'm not going to take it.

Good luck though. I'm not sure headachess are a withdrawl though. You may have something called migraine-associated vertigo. It might be worth asking your doctor about it.

• Posted

Thank You

I see the ent on the 21st i am hoping to get some answers so i can be myself again.

I too think that my inner ear problems has caused me to have migrain headachs.

• Posted

Hi dee.......Thats what I was diagnoised with......MAV (migraines associated with vertigo) on three meds since the end of Sept  still getting dizzy....it was getting much better then it seems to be getting bad agin......been on other meds before September.....Feel tired and horribesad
  • Posted

That didn't help me, at all. However, it did help my mother in law who was bedridden without it but it's not an every day medication. You take it until your condition improves and then stop. I know you can take it 3 timed a day but I do not recall the max amount of time you can take it for. Double check that with a call to your doctor or pharmacy but you may not have given it enough time if it was indeed working for you.
  • Posted

My GP and ENT both prescribed 3 meclizine a day.  Some days it seemed to help,other days it didn't. I did this for two months until I saw a neurologist.  He told me meclizine doesn't help vertigo, so stop taking it. He said meclizine can make you have balance issues.  I've been tapering off my dose- didn't want to go "cold turkey".  I have felt less dizzy since Icut back my dose. I take 1/2 pill a day now. It's so hard to know what to do when doctors give conflicting information.  I am so sick of doctors telling me to wait and it will eventually go away. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.