Trigemenial and Numbness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with TN about a month ago. The most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I couldn't move my eyes left to right and the throbbing pain in my face/jaw was terrible. Then it would trigger migraines. But the one thing is the left side of my face and throat keep going numb. Is this normal?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes the pain itself is pretty shocking and then we worry about it coming back.  What you mention also happening is normal, like all sorts of sensations that happen in the body from extreme tension.  Just remember, they will find medication that will take care of this and if you need it later surgeries that are very successful.  Take care! 
    • Posted

The pain is horrific. I felt like my face was going to give birth to an alien species. I never want to go back to that week in my life.
  • Posted

Wendy,

A sure sign of TN is feeling an "electric shock". Did a neurologist diagnose you? What strategy did he/she give? If you have not seen one, get an appointment asap.

eddie13

• Posted

Yes I get the electric shocks as well as twitches that encompass my eye and nasal area. I am seeing a neurologist but he doesn't explain anything. I am on meds that help but don't make the symptoms completely go away. I feel like the meds are just making me stupid so I don't realize the pain. I am glad there are surgery options and other people who know what I am truly dealing with.
    • Posted

It can take a few weeks for most meds to work  completely. Have you tried Gabapentin (Neurotin)?  A stronger med is Tegretol  (carbamazepine). These are standard meds for TN but there are others too.  You definitely need to take meds for TN and not ones that just relax you.  

• Posted

I'm really sorry you have this condition. I had a MVD and it has ruined my quality of life. Still get the pain, well worse and sometimes find it hard to go out in bad weather conditions. Plus i have numbness one half of my head. So please really consider what the doctors offer, even though you and I thought the pain was bad. Good luck for the future
    • Posted

Patz, is there another less invasive surgery you might try?  The MVD did not work for me either.  I went back to meds.  When they stopped working I had a Balloon Compression surgery which worked.  I am now pain free.  This procedure was out-patient and only works for a few years but can be repeated.  Best of luck to you!!  

• Posted

Don't wait for a neurologist who won't offer you explanations.Write out your questions in a notebook and let him know you want answers.After all it is your right and if they see you are interested they will interact.(maybe)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.