trigeminal neuralgia??

Posted , 7 users are following.

The past 5 days I've been having severe pain in my lower&supper jaw, head & ear. I thought it was a toothache so I went to the dentist and he checked my teeth and they were perfect, so I then thought I maybe have an ear infection so I then went to the doctor he checked my ears and they were perfect again. He then said that we all have a nerve at the side of our head that can cause this type of pain and he prescribed me Gabapentin 100g (1 per day) and Ibuprofen 600g. The ibuprofen doesn't work and I have get to collect the Gabapentin. He never said anything about trigeminal neuralgia but I'm thinking that's what it is. I only turned 18 a week ago, does this sound like trigeminal neuralgia?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, that does sound like trigeminal neuralgia, but you need to go see a neurologist for a proper diagnose. And please, please do not let any dentist pull out your teeth. For most of us who has TN, we all start out with pain in our teeth. Also, 100mg of gabapentin once a day is too, too low of a dose and probably won't even touch the pain your experiencing. Good luck!

• Posted

I definitely won't be letting the dentist pull out any teeth. Doctor said to come back in a week if the pain is still there so I'll be going back and he can refer me to someone!! I've done a bit of research on it and I've heard that it's hard to find something to ease the pain which is unfortunate because the pain is torture!!

• Posted

Hi had mine now for 18 months solid . Aches in Upper gums by wisdom tooth, the upper jaw, around left ear and top left of head. I also get tingling around my left eye and ice pick type headaches at that side.

I've had a brain scan and they said all was normal. I've been dentist 3 times all is normal although there is swelling around the wisdom tooth but it is not an abscess. X rays of gums are okay. I feel it worse at night when lying on my face. The whole upper gums feel like they're 1 million times sensitive.

It's a really depressing condition

• Posted

So sorry to say sounds like TN. Dont let any of those hacks pull your teeth. Neurosurgeon needed, Best of luck praying for you.
  • Posted

I've had TN for 14 years. I had MVD surgery, Gamma knife radiation and neither worked. I was taking carbamazepine, gabapentin and baclafen. I took a total of 26 pills a day. I went to see an upper cervical chiropractor in September and got immediate relief. Within 2 months, I was pain free and off all meds. Still pain free today! Upper cervical adjusting saved my life.

• Posted

Hello,

I had 2 failed MVD's that left me with more pain than before. I am on more meds, including narcotics then before as well. I also have very painful involuntary movements of twisting and spinning like tornado inside my mouth, face and scalp (nonstop since Sept 2014). No doctors understand why and no neurosurgeon want to touch me. I am now thinking of seeing an upper cervical chiropractor. How many sessions did it take for you to notice the reduction in pain? I'm in Houston. If you are in Houston, can you please refer me to your doctor? Thanks

• Posted

Your doctors are trained to ease the problem, not eliminate it. After my first adjustment the next day I was able to speak 4 words. The next day. Seven words. By the end of the fourth day I was speaking total sentences with very little pain. I started to drop from 26 pills a day down to 20 pills a day and so on. Within eight weeks I was totally pain-free and off of the medication. Today I have adjustments once a week and have not had any reproductions. If I only knew then what I know now I would not have had surgery. I live in St. Louis but my chiropractor has your recommendation in Texas for you. I will send it to you by Friday. Don't ever give up!

• Posted

You're diagnosis will depend greatly on how the medication works. If the gabapentin works, then it's likely TN (especially since the ibuprofen didn't work), at which point your doctor will refer you to a neurologist.

• Posted

My initial symptoms were identical to yours.  Take the Gabapentin and see if it helps.  I started on Tegretol and it took 5 days before my pains subsided.  Ibuprofen helped me some, but it only helped 1-2 hours and you can only take it every 6 hours. But I was happy for some relief!  Finally, most information states that TN usually happens to women over 50, but I don't think TN knows that as I have read about it happening to people much younger.  My advice....take the Gabapentin and make an appt to see and neurologist.

• Posted

I've just collected the Gabapentin so I'm gonna take one and see if it helps!! Fingers crossed it does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.