Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am newly diagnosed with tn, but have been experiencing other symptoms I havent seen mentioned anywhere such as ringing in the ears.Does anyone else have this as Im starting to question my doctors diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated as am starting to question my doctors diagnosis and am getting scared.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have ringing in my ears too. But although I've been diagnosed with TN my chiropractor has now also diagnosed a problem with my jaw, so I'm feeling confused too. I'm feeling that because pain is such a unique experience for everyone diagnosing TN is a bit difficult. I've asked to be referred to a neurologist, to try to get to the bottom of the cause of this severe pain. Perhaps you could do the same, depending on where you are in the world? Though my appointment isn't until August and I feel I may have gone insane with it by then!! 
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had Tinnitus for decades, it can be associated with many things. Many people get it following ear infections, head injuries, taking certain medications, it can also be due to a specific problem with the structures of the inner ear or with the auditory nerve! It is often associated with autoimmune diseases. Sometimes it can occur without any real known cause. It can be linked with some types of tumours - not necessarily cancerous. I have had ear infections and head injuries, I take Ibuprofen (one of the medications linked with Tinnitus), I also have autoimmune disease. I also have TN.........so take your pick as to what causes the Tinnitus!!

I would ask your GP or Neurologist for some advice regarding how best to identify a possible cause for the Tinnitus. Perhaps ask for an ENT referral and/or an MRI to rule out anything else which might explain it. In the meantime you could try using white noise therapy to block it when trying to sleep, this has proven to be very effective for many Tinnitus sufferers.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Tyvm, I'll try ibuprofen n4 anything else. Reply is very much appreciated x
    • Posted

Hi,

You're welcome. By the way, I take the Ibuprofen for inflammatory arthritis, not for TN, frankly for TN it is useless. Tinnitus is listed as a side effect of Ibuprofen. 

To treat TN you need some sort of anti-convulsant and a drug designed for neuropathic pain. For the TN I take Carbamazepine 100mg 4 times a day on the dot! I set my phone alarm to remind me (a very useful tip from a forum member) plus I take Amitriptyline 50mg at night and 10mg twice in the day if the TN kicks off.

Best wishes

• Posted

What is white nose therapy. I am lucky I can sleep through most things, thoug TN isn't one of them! 
    • Posted

White noise is basically static! If you untune a radio so that static is all you hear then it can block the noise of the Tinnitus. It doesn't even need to be too loud so it won't disrupt anyone else. Personally I just ignore the Tinnitus as I have had it for so long, it's part of everyday life (sigh) and no longer such a nuisance. I do, however, notice the very high-pitched whistle which is accompanied by a sudden muffling of sounds around me!

As to the TN, it doesn't keep me awake, but it does wake me up, especially when it flares up in my eye, evil pain and it incapacitates me for the rest of the day. On the plus side it does only last for a day, whereas before medication it would last for about 6 - 7 days. I do still get stabs of pain and electric shock-like pain elsewhere which in comparison to the pain in my eye is minor and I can manage it.

Good luck.

• Posted

I believe many things have to happen before the signature shooting pain of TN is created. It is a perfect storm of imbalances in the body that culminate in inflammation and obstruction. The trigeminal is in proximity to the ear so it would not be unthinkable to have symptoms that overlap into the ear or jaw. Keep in mind also that the drugs used to treat this syndrome also have ringing in the ears as a side effect. Tegretaol and ibuprofen both will cause that. And when the pain is severe there is a tendency to overmedicate hoping that the strong drug will vanquish the strong pain. But that is not always the case - in my Mother's case (the reason that I subscribed to this forum) a single Alleve could stop a 5 day jag of excruciating TN pain. It has been that the subtle treatments are the most effective. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.