Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband has been suffering from facial pain for 2 years. Today we saw our eleventh doctor and he is sure it is Classic Trigeminal Neuralgia after the Pain Mgmt Doc and the Head of the Maxillofacial Dept at Loyola Medical Ctr, in Chicago said he didn't think it was. So Gamma Knife Surgery is the 28th of April. Anyone oiut there recently or years ago have this procedure and how are you doing? Please we would like all the help we can get. A BIG Thank You !!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy

The saddest thing about your posting is that it took 2years and 11 doctors to get to this diagnosis. The best and clearest definition of classic TN (e.g. TN type 1) is the proof that the patient has an artery thumping away and compressing the root of the Trigeminal nerve. You only get this with a high quality MRI. Has your latest medical team shown that this is the case?

If it is then there are several options available including your gamma-knife and MVD operation of course. Each of these procedures have their own success rate and you need to be sure that you are doing the very option for the type of TN that your dad is experiencing.

Many people on here emphasise the importance of research, research, research before deciding. I'm my case it was obvious that most success would be likely from having the MVD. That was about 6 weeks ago and I haven't looked back. I know it's early days yet, but the prognosis is looking good. Of course, MVD might be no good for you at all. But it really does depend on getting the clearest/unequivocal clinical definition of TN first, then making the decision on what treatment to follow. I'm sure several people on here will say the same.

Good luck

Keep safe

Big D

• Posted

Army183............How are you doing? Any pain? Any medicine still? Where was yours done?    Lovts questions.........lol
    • Posted

Hello Joanne

Mine was done at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge UK. It was about 3.5hr and when I came round my neurosurgeon asked me if I had any TN pain - answer was "no". Hooray.

Was on industrial amounts of Carbamazepine before the op and so have had to reduce the dose gradually to avoid risk of a seizure. When I got to a very low dose, I felt some pain around my previous trigger point (top lip) now and again but not significant but my consultant said that was ok because I'd reduced the drug rather quickly and there was still residual inflammation/bruising to clear up.

So I'm taking a low dose (for me) of 200mg per day. Seeing consultant for review on 25th April. Head wound cleared up a treat, very quick. Had some waves of exhaustion for first 4 weeks or so and was not too good at looking right and left while walking! He said I was making usual progress and that I was not 25 years old, so stop moaning and get on with the expected recovery.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

My best wishes to you. I pray you will heal soon and be pain free permanently. I thank you for your reply. Yes, it certainly helped. Please keep me/us informed of your future progress.
  • Posted

It is my understanding that the only way to be sure it is TN is to have aMRI along with a MRA to see if an artery or vessel is pressing against the T rigeminal Nerve >Have u had this done?

• Posted

Looks like the concensus is growing - as we and Mallory say, you need a high quality MRI to confirm the vascular loop compressing the nerve. It's the only way ahead and based on that, you and your neurosurgeon consultant (and it should be the neurosurgeon rather than others in the clinical area) can make some considered choices re possible procedures that are available and the likelihood of success, including long-term outcomes.

Good luck

Big D (aka Metal Head)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.