Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having been diagnosed over 2 years ago I have been taking Tegretol (Carbamazapine) regularly.  Condition has not improved, but I got loads of information from the TN Association conference last week.  Anyone diagnosed or experiencing similar TN pain should contact the TNA.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I also suffer wih TN.  I was diagnosed in 2006.  The TN Association you mentioned, is this Association in the US.  I live in Canada and would be grateful if you supply me with more info on how to get in contact with this Association.  Thank you very much.

• Posted

Is there anyone in or around the Manchester area or Any were in England who sufferers with  Trigeminal Neuralgia  and has been having treatment for this awful condition ..

• Posted

Hi Irene - I am not from England but I have been suffering with this disease since 2006.  I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

• Posted

Hi,irene13378,I'm in north wales ,but used to live in manchester.My daughter has suffered for a few years with TN.I think it began as as an exposure to herpes zoster(chickenpox).She was hospitalised.There ,they gave her antiviral meds for a week-10days ,and carbemazepine( trade name Tegretol ,here in UK).She improved immediately.They also gave her gabapentin and amitriptyline on discharge from hospital.The most useful thing was being referred to a Neurologist at The Walton Centre in Aintree,Liverpool.There, they can offer other treatments,after MRI's .We have not gone down this path-but if the meds begin to fail,then i might consider cyberknife treatment ,as being the least invasive of all.Do your homework.Research these options for yourself,as what suits one person doesn't work for another.Whatever you decide to do,this is a useful place to come,if only to know that you're not alone.X

• Posted

Hi Angela - I can't remember if I had contacted you about your post.  I was diagnosed with TN in 2006 and had MVD surgery in 2009.  I am not familiar with the TNA - could you give me some contact info?  I truly would appreciate it.  Also, surgery was unsuccessful so suffer on a daily basis with this disease.  Also, what med in Carbamazapine - is it anti-seizure or a pain med.  This med is new to me.  Thanky you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.