Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I believe there was a patient who had this but I can't remember who it was. I would like to discus it with him/her.

Roberta

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roberta 

My PHN is on the trigeminal nerve, so although I have post-herpatic neuralgia it presents as trigeminal neuralgia. Is this similar to your case? 

• Posted

I don't have this disease but my husband did and he is cured.  He went to a neurosurgeon and had endoscopic microvascular decompression of the trigeminal nerve.  It was so successful.  He  is pain free.  This was back in 2009.  Have you considered this?

• Posted

Hi Roberta,

I have PHN in the right eye, forehead and scalp.  This is the opthalmic branch of the trigeminal nerve.  27 years now.  Doing much better as the years decrease my pain and itching.  What questions do you have? 

• Posted

I don't have any questions other than asking you if you have considered the operation?

• Posted

Since your husband's surgery was a vascular decompression, I'm guessing the trigeminal neuralgia he had was caused by vascular compression.  PHN is different, involving scarring and more general damage to the sensory nerves themselves.  I don't believe PHN involves any vascular cause.  So, I don't think that surgery would be effective.  But I do appreciate your efforts to share a solution here!  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.