Trigeminal neuralgia and eyes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have suffered with flare ups of trigeminal neuralgia for the last few years due to a neck injury. Flare ups usually cause stabbing and shooting pain in my scalp and forehead/jaw. Recently I have experienced similar sensations around my eye on one side. I have had my eyes checked and all is healthy. Has anyone else experienced eye pain with trigeminal neuralgia? I had shingles above the eye affected a few months ago but my ophthalmologist ruled out eye involvement. I did experience similar pain when I had shingles in my eye area and am wondering if the damage to the nerve has resulted in the sudden involvement (eye pain) when having a flare up of neuralgia.

Thank you for reading all of this if you get to the end!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely, so sorry you are struggling.

I get pain around my eye too, generally an intense stabbing.

When i was first diagnosed I only had pain in my jaw but now I get it anywhere across one side of my face.

If you have a look online at the trigeminal nerve branch it covers a huge area including your eye area where you are getting your pain.

The only thing that helps me is really hot heat pads as cold is a huge trigger for me but it could be the other way round for you so if ice packs help put one of those on.

I hope you feel better soon.

Xx

• Posted

sorry you are having pain. I had to have MVD in 2014. I had pain for 3 months before surgery. I was put on Ebitol for 3 months prior to surgery, did not help much. praying all goes well and you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I have a great deal of pain in my eyes and around my eyes, forehead and part of my scalp. I have bilateral TN and it affects all three branches of the nerve on both sides. I also get migraines at the same time. Heat works for me too but it needs to be like 'lava hot' to be any help. A colleague of mine is a trained Ophthalmic Nurse and she said that many people who complain of eye pain will be diagnosed with TN.

Good luck and best wishes for a bit of relief from the pain 😊

• Posted

The type of Tn you have sounds like occipital neuralgia- would that be the diagnosis you have received?

• Posted

I have both trigeminal and occipital neuralgia, they flare up and then settle down. At the moment everything has calmed down a lot and the pain is bearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.