Trigeminal Neuralgia caused by MS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - Could anyone tell me if they are suffering with TN because of a diagnosis of MS.  Just interested to know if it feels different than TN caused caused by another disorder.  Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

I do not have a diagnosis of MS , however I have much nerve damage and spasms. I did have shingles along with this issue prior to TN which resulted in Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. 

• Posted

Hi anna38464,

I too have MS (9 years diagnosed) and agree with susan33... Her write up is very accurate.

MS patients have leasions on the brain which in time affect the trigeminal nerve. Neurologist thinks my lessons came 20 years before the TN. I manage TN with carbamazepine. Copaxone for MS.

eddie13

• Posted

Hi,

The pain and other symptoms of TN are the same regardless of the cause, if the nerve has something affecting it it will respond. The main differences, from the research I've done, is that with Atypical TN any of the three branches on either side of the face can be affected at any given time and in a haphazard manner. Also, once identified, the cause is treated differently i.e. Post-Herpes TN will be managed with anti-virals and medications to combat the pain (same or similar to those for Classic TN), trauma from pressure due to sinus problems, or dental issues would be treated accordingly and so on. As I understand it, once damaged the Trigeminal nerves will always be susceptible to flare-ups of pain, tingling and electric shock-like sensations etc. Another difference is the branch affected in each individual; more often than not the right side of the face is affected and usually the Mandibular branch, followed by the Maxilliary and much less often the Ophthalmic branch. Rarely do all three branches cause a problem, unless you're me!! I have excrutiating pain from TN in the Left Ophthalmic branch in the main with less severe problems in the other two. I also get it on the Right, but, thankfully, much less severely.

In my case the cause could be related to either of the following: repeated sinus infections/abscesses, head injury, Shingles or in connection with an Inflammatory Arthritis/Lupus type problem! I had thought mine was a variation of Migraine such as Cluster headaches until it got much worse and more extensive and started to coincide with flare-ups of joint pain and the rash I get.

The management of the pain and symptoms of the actual TN is usually some type of anti-depressant in low doses to combat the neuropathic pain element, an anti-convulsant (Carbamazipine, Limotrogine and so on) and sometimes a strong analgesic such as Codeine based analgesia or Oxycodone etc. There are a variety of invasive techniques which can be done to treat the cause in Classic TN.

Hope that is of some help.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I also had a head injury 6 years ago. I had a complicated history since then but I developed post herpetic neuralgia form mis diagnosed shingles.Therfore the herpes virus is active within  me. (left ear scalp and neck). I developed the ATN after a tooth extraction. 

What I wondered is, does it ever get better? I have it daily(no remission periods). I also get very fatigued form the tegretol and have vision changes. Are there any natural alternatives? I do want to be on tegretol and Lyrica the rest of my life...Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, Anna,

From my research into TN I understand that it gets progressively worse in terms of frequency of attacks and severity of attacks. Many sufferers find that they need ever stronger medication or higher doses. Once they are no longer effective surgical or other procedures (laser/gamma knife etc) are considered - it should be noted that all such procedures carry high risks of complications which is why as with all surgery they are considered last resort options.

Another member of this forum mentioned that they had gained a good deal of relief from Acupuncture, other than than I don't know of any other natural remedies, sorry.

Best wished.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.