Trigger finger relief

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can someone give me some advice on getting me through the next few days until I see a surgeon for trigger finger please? I am dreading each morning as my little finger is so uncomfortable.  I am getting to the stage I don't want to bend my finger. The problem has been active for 3 years but has deteriorated in the past 4 months and within the last week have started getting pain. I feel sick as it feels so uncomfortable. Any urgent advice gratefully received. I am also not sure when they decide on an injection rather than surgery or vice versa, Thank you all!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Tape the affected finger from its base  to the base of the finger nail.  Fabric surgical tape, and duct tape both worked for me.  Tape only tight enough to prevent over-flexing the finger.

I now use a plastic device obtainable on the internet called "oval-8". This also prevents the finge from flexing to the point where it locks up, but is better because it uses no adhesive, is ccomfortable and can be left on even when bathing or washing hands.  Be sure to get the right size as directed on the web site.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Was this advised by a surgeon? If i do this between now and my appoinment will he think I am mad for doing it? Have you received treatment for this? I am just interested to know whether he can provide me any instant relief from this problem at my first appointment?
  • Posted

I was treated by an orthopedic surgeon.  He gave me an injection of cortisone or cortisone-like steroid directly into the base of the affected finger, and a course of steroid pills to ake over a week's time.  I showed him how I had taped my finger, and he said it was an acceptable subsitute for a finger splint to alleviate my discomfort.  The ""oval-8" device is a much ore comfortable and effective substitute for the tape.
  • Posted

Addendum:  Why do you care what he thinks about your mental state? If he doesn't know what a painful, frustrating,annayance trigger finger can be, find another doctor.
    • Posted

I don't but I also don't want to compromise what treatment I have for my finger and don't want to make matters worse before seeing him.
  • Posted

I don't know how the medical system works where you live, but in view of your concern about your doctor's reaction to possibly splinting your finger, can't you telephone him and ask him?
    • Posted

Not that straight forward I'm afraid here, especially as a new referral, but splinted it last night and took it off this morning and made quite a difference,so that is the main thing, thank you.
  • Posted

Just another question please? I have had the stiffness and discomfort in my little finger joint, but recently noticed early in the morning that my index, middle and ring finger are also a bit stiff on the joint just below the finger nail. Sorry not sure the name of this joint. The little finger is stiff at the main joint. Are these likely to be connected, or is it just because I am trying to keep my hand flat during the night? I know trigger finger can affect more than one finger and can affect both joints of the finger.
    • Posted

I am not a medical professional, but to my knowledge I think it unlikely that trying to keep your hand flat during the night is harnful.
  • Posted

I think my question to anyone in this position is does trigger finger occur later on in other joints on other fingers in the same hand? I am thinking I may have left this rather late for treatmen??
    • Posted

Speaking only with regard to my own experience, only one joint of one finger was affected to the extent that it locked up when fully flexed.  It has responded well to cortisone injection plus oral prednisone, and imobilizing the joint with a "soft" splint.  Personally, I think it non-productive to worry about an event that  might happen in the future unless there exists some positive action that can be taken to avoid it.  In the case of trigger finger I don't know of any such action.
  • Posted

25 years ago I had op for trigger finger, about seven years ago I needed a cortisone injection into the same joint. other than that the op worked  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.