Trigger Foods

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have done a lot of research, and every post and everyone online mentions "trigger foods." Obviously we all know the typical: coffee, chocolate, alcohol, spicy foods, etc. However, everyone of course has their own trigger foods as well. I'm making this post though because it seems literally every food is my trigger food. My GERD is so bad it is tiggered by something as simple as a banana, yogurt, vegetables, etc. How the hell am i supposed fo eat and try to maintain my weight if everything is a trigger food? Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Trigger foods vary with individuals and circumstances. I keep off certain fairly standard culprits and keep a lookout for unexpected candidates.

• Posted

Trigger foods vary with individuals and circumstances. I keep off certain fairly standard culprits and keep a lookout for unexpected candidates.

• Posted

yes, I can completely relate. Here is the thing about GERD......it's not always caused by "trigger foods." trigger foods can cause heartburn, but totally different than GERD. With GERD, Usually foods don’t have much to do with it. Instead, it has more to do with a weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter. When this LES does not close properly, stomach contents including food and stomach acid come up into the esophagus causing heartburn, nausea, and all of the other symptoms associated with usually foods don’t have much to do with it. Instead, it has more to do with a weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter. When this LES does not close properly, stomach contents including food and stomach acid come up into the esophagus causing heartburn, nausea, and all of the other symptoms associated with GERD. For me, I get symptoms from just simply drinking water. This is why I am on a PPI and have been for years. Luckily, I do very well on a single dose 20 mg PPI every day and it works wonders.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Totally makes sense and is what I was thinking was going on. If my LES was functioning correct I know I can literally eat anything - I've never even had known food allergies. However, I recently had a barium swallow done which showed my LES flapping open and staying relaxed. I'm 19 and have been dealing with this since I was 16, however before it was manageable and now I haven't been able to get back on track whatsoever.

• Posted

yes, I can completely relate. Here is the thing about GERD......it's not always caused by "trigger foods." trigger foods can cause heartburn, but totally different than GERD. With GERD, Usually foods don’t have much to do with it. Instead, it has more to do with a weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter. When this LES does not close properly, stomach contents including food and stomach acid come up into the esophagus causing heartburn, nausea, and all of the other symptoms associated with usually foods don’t have much to do with it. Instead, it has more to do with a weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter. When this LES does not close properly, stomach contents including food and stomach acid come up into the esophagus causing heartburn, nausea, and all of the other symptoms associated with GERD. For me, I get symptoms from just simply drinking water. This is why I am on a PPI and have been for years. Luckily, I do very well on a single dose 20 mg PPI every day and it works wonders.

• Posted

omg i have same as you. everything i eat even veg i get acid reflux. i ve cut out dairy,sugar gluten, chocolate and on a plant base diet...and i still have burning throat and reflux. i have raised the head of my bed and still have them..cug out meat as well. what has been working recently though once i dtink camomile tea before going to bed and i sleep without coughing and reflux...its very misersble ifvi dont have the tea and my sleep is disrupted all night.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I couldn't relate more. I too have cut out everything you mentioned and more only to suffer from the same symptoms; truly miserable. I have also raised the head of my bed and try not to eat at least 3 hours before i sleep, although sometimes that is difficult. I haven't trued tea yet, I was always scared of it making my reflux/regurgitation worse, but i think I'll give it a try. You are not alone, I hope we both find relief soon

• Posted

I was started on Omprezole 2x a day for 2 months then slowly taken off them. I ate small meals 5x a day and chew slowly! I found doing this healed and changed after abt. 2 weeks. No alcohol, mustard, spaghetti sauce, any carbonated drinks, etc. I took vitamins with lunch! but C, D3, B12, Calcium, and a multi vitamin. My day started with water and a yogurt drink, Chicken and small salad with no dressing, a bananna, a half sandwich later day (Turkey and cheese) no condiment! and plain crackers abt. 1 hr. before bed. elevate to sleep! NO ANXIETY! massages! and I am good. I have narrowing at the distal end of the esophagus and a sliding hiatal hernia. when I cheat on my diet I suffer. good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I honestly really appreciate all of the detail and personal experience you shared. I've been on/off omeprazole for almost 3 years now but it always provides very temporary relief. For example, I may be on it for a week and notice a slight improvement in my symptoms but much sooner than later my symptoms seem to overpower the medication. I'm keeping my diet extremely bland, and went from cutting out every single food, to now slowly reintroducing some things. Do you feel the taking the vitamins significantly helped? or do you think your results would've been the same without taking them?

• Posted

I just posted in this forum like 2 mins ago saying the same thing as you im so glad im not the only one please if you ever find a solution let me know same goes for me if i find something that works ill be sure to let you know first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.