Triggers and remedies for spasms

Posted , 5 users are following.

We have an achalasia patient support group meeting coming up in a few weeks time and thought that we would try and gather some information about spasms with a rough-and-ready questionnaire.   We think we know quite a few of the issues, but I would like to canvass a wider audience.

So my questions to anyone who suffers these spasms are:

a) Does anything in particular trigger them off?

b) What do you find helpful in dealing with them?

c) Is there anything you think might be helpful to pass on to other people who suffer them?

As a start, I have one who is the first to respond as follows:

a) Drinking or eating something really cold

Breathing in very cold air

Chest getting cold - e.g. cold shower and/or bathroom

Stress

Other people find that food that gets stuck can cause spasms.

b) All these can be alleviated by drinking warm water

c) I don't know why I get them at night sometimes, but I always have a hot water bottle handy (even in the height of summer) to put on my chest, which alleviates the problem if the pain hasn't set in.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is a good discussion to get started, thanks, Alan.  My spasms aren't so often anymore, but I have found that food that gets stuck, or congeals will start a spasm.  So will stress.  I've just recently, actually last week, gone through a high-stress situation, and actually got pain in the area of the esophageal sphincter muscle - I could actually feel that muscle tighten up.  Bitter, dark chocolate has helped in relaxing the spasm/muscle at times... it is my 'go to' when I feel that darn muscle is tightening up.  Also, really cold fluids will give me a small spasm/pain.  My chest area seems to be sensitive, now to drafts and cold air. 

• Posted

Hi Alan, Some answers...

a) Does anything in particular trigger them off? 

In my case I had about 2 years of spasms in my LES area and spine (like nerve pain) prior to any swallowing issues. I am 90% sure that stress kicked them off. I also think (not 100% sure) I can link the start to a particular stressful event. Luckily I seldom get them now; it felt to me as if the ‘disease’ is directly related to the spasms, and the nerve damage - thus loss of normal swallowing function was the result - which is unfortunately long lasting - the spasms shorter but damaging. Also, cold and windy days can set it off; but I think that might be because I find that generally unsettling. Note: personally I only associate spasms with pain - not abnormal swallowing - that might be something to consider for the study. 

b) What do you find helpful in dealing with them? 

If a spasm was really bad, a good sip of ice cold water would cure the pain instantly. However, cold water does not help with swallowing where warm water does; plus I know other suffers avoid cold water at all costs.

c) Is there anything you think might be helpful to pass on to other people who suffer them? 

Plan ahead for a stressful situation without feeling shameful. Have cold, or warm water available (take a flask or whatever) and try to anticipate the triggers that might happen; I found the worst spasms would catch me off guard. High Strength Magnesium and VB worked for months for me. Secondly, remember to be kind to ourselves; we are no use to anyone in a stressful state; and we deserve to be happy at all costs, even when suffering. Do things you enjoy more often - fishing, photography, painting, charity work, or whatever…. smile 

Healthy Karma Nx 

• Posted

a) Does anything in particular trigger them off? If i eat a larger meal i will get spasms, Choclate seems to trigger them.

b) What do you find helpful in dealing with them? Heating pad or warm shower seems to sooth them

c) Is there anything you think might be helpful to pass on to other people who suffer them? Eat smaller meals, eat slowly, figure out what your trigger foods are and only allow yourself tiny portions of them as a treat if they are something you like. For example Chocalate will trigger them for me so I never allow myself more than a small bit of choclate anymore....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.