Triggers for Gilbert’s syndrome.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with GS a couple of years now. Last week I decided to cut out coffee from my diet, and it has made a big difference. I was getting a lot of stomach pain and bloating from it, but now the pain has gone. Does anyone else know of things that could make it worse? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I personally have been caffeine free for a while now and it made a huge difference. I've also found that high carb foods tend to make symptoms worse. Probably the best thing I have done to help is yogurt. I drink one yogurt shake a day. You can typically find them in most grocery stores for about a dollar each. Try it for a week and see how you feel.

• Posted

Gilbert's Syndrome is a high bilirubin level in the blood.  Where does bilirubin originate, answer the liver.

It then follows that we should always try to reduce stress on the liver.

Stress on the liver is caused by chemicals in coffee, herbs, spices, alcohol, tea, chocolate, and almost all frozen preserved 'ready meals'.  All these items have to be processed by the liver unlike other plainer foods.

I removed ALL spices and ALL herbs from my diet and my bilirubin level which was over 100 dropped to 33.

This took about a month, while the liver was repairing itself.   The liver being one human organ that has the capability to repair itself.

Other items to watch for would be allergies, some people find that dairy and or wheat give them additional digestive problems.

So diet is well worth changing for a month or so, and do each test slowly until you find what works.

Dick

• Posted

Hi bethany , I found an improvement in my bilirubin numbers ( 1.75 now ) by taking activated charcoal twice a week 1hour before and 1 after a meal because it will chelate many toxins that the liver cannot eliminate , the gallbladder will circulate those extra toxins in the digestion and that's when the charcoal will grab them.

Also the elimination of caffeine was a big improvement for me too as minimizing alcohol consumption.

• Posted

Do your own research on Biliruben and it's effect on your system and you will learn that although it has side effects it is a powerful antioxidant and there have been many studies proving that high Biliruben numbers lower your chances of heart disease, stroke, etc. I personally do what I said above to help my liver process better, but I don't do anything to lower my numbers.

• Posted

Hey fellow sufferers. I am about a year into my diagnosis. Had symptoms my whole life and no dr ever caught it and actually they took my gallbladder thinking it was making me sick! Then after that’s came out and I was still dizzy dizzy tired and my eyes yes were yellowing (I was accused of drug use at one point) #mom of three! Lol too funny anyway I started doing a lot of lunch own research as I do everything. ONCE I understood this thing I haven learned to manage it on my own and in one year I went back went  year I went from always being symptomatic to only having issues when im sick but it took an a complete lifestyle change. I went extreme paleo and cut out legumes and tomato’s I have absolutely no sugar if you can do that’s that minimize it to once a month have a treat. No alcohol! None! And take milk thistle daily. This should really keep your symptoms at bay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.