Trimall Surgery Recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m 21 and had trimal surgery on May 24th.  I am coming up on 8 weeks non weight bearing and don’t have another appointment till the 31st (then I will be 10 weeks NWB). I’m just wondering if it is normal to be NWB for this long and what to expect at my next appointment. I’m tired of not being able to walk or drive and can’t get a solid recovery timeline anywhere (I know everyone is different). Thanks! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’m 20 and had the same surgery on May 30. I’ve been NWB for 6.5 weeks, and I have an appointment next week which will be 7 weeks since surgery NWB. He told me that I should be able to start bearing weight then. I have heard of people being NWB for 10 weeks though, so I don’t think it’s unusual especially if you disrupted your syndesmotic ligament :-) I think it just depends on each person and how fast their bones/ligaments to heal and ligaments take longer to heal than bones. But I’m sure you will be able to start putting on weight on it then and start walking with a boot. I’v been through surgery on my other ankle(driving foot) a few years ago and it totally sucks not being able to drive. I hope you get good  news at your appointment though!
  • Posted

I'm afraid my answer won't be much help to you... I had ORIF surgery for a trimalleolar fracture on May 20th and was supposed to wait 8 weeks before weight bearing. I made it 3 weeks and couldn't take it anymore so I started walking, without a boot. It caused the bones to shift a few mm and my doctor was pretty heated at my 6 week post-op appointment. Not that I cared... But if you want to heal properly, do what they tell you. If that means another 2 weeks of NWB, just do it. You'll be glad when you're pain free and I'm still limping around. Hope you heal quickly.

MJ

• Posted

Listen to your doctor and be patient. It took me about 9 weeks to start wb. Your next appointment you should start wb around 45-60 lb of weight. The X-rays tells the doctor how your bones are healing and your ankle is progressing. I just made a year 7/12/17 ankle surgery. 3 places, 2 plates, 7 screws. No pain , running every day , back to usual activities. DON’T RUSH THE PROCESS 
  • Posted

Hi

I had a bimalleolar fracture 4 May......I began partial weight bearing at 8 weeks and within a week I was fully weight bearing.  My Consultant told me to weigh bear as my ankle and the pain would allow.  The physio I saw also told me to weighbear fully as much as possible.  If you do nothing else do your exercises robustly....That will help massively when you start weigh bearing.  God Bless I feel you pain x

• Posted

The saying do not try to run before you can walk ...now I no the meaning of that so well.

When people say they now run again I cant imagine that.but people obviously do.  AT 10 weeks post surgery my leg is still swollen and my ankle when I walk too far..........You will get there.try and focus on how far you have gotten up to now and that helps mentally with the frustration we have all felt.....

• Posted

Strangely enough I was also told that weight bearing even partial promotes further healing as the brain feels the pain of weight bearing and sends messages to the cells to heal.............makes sense to me as I am a nurse.

• Posted

You lucky guy!(Girl)

I'm 3 months after surgery (13weeks), still in splint and NWB. I'm hoping for boot, on my next check up,next week. It is unreal how slow I heal, but I'm an old woman. It must be a terrible ordeal for you ,since you are young and need to go places ,etc.

I totaly feel for you, but it will get better, eventually. Hang in there.

I'm pulling for you....

• Posted

I'm 25, trimaelleolar fracture, 6 weeks post-ORIF, and the doc will "consider" allowing me to try weight bearing once I'm at the 9 week mark. It's frustrating. One thing that's kind of helping pass the time is that he allowed me to move into a boot the other day. I hate the boot (it's clunky, and very annoying especially when I can't even put any weight on it) but he suggested I start doing some ankle exercises so that it wouldn't be as stiff in a few weeks when I try to put weight on it. Psychologically, seeing my foot makes me think I've made some kind of progress. I'm sure you could ask for the same if the cast is starting to get very boring. He also keeps reminding me that bones take a minimum of 6 weeks to heal/regrow and up to 10 weeks and I just need to sit tight or risk reinjuring myself. Ugh.

• Posted

It’s physical therapy time. Hopefully you can see a therapist to help you with your progress. Whatever you do at pt do it at home because that’s when you make progress to get your range of motion , also get a tennis ball and roll under your foot it will help when you begin to put pressure on foot with the tingling. Your getting close push yourself in pt
    • Posted

I haven’t started PT yet, which I think is the weirdest thing. I was only instructed to take the boot off twice a day and do the alphabet with my ankle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.