Trimalleolar Ankle Fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffered a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle five weeks ago.  Had surgery two days later; now have a pin and plate in the inner side of my ankle and a plate and screws on the outer side. This has been one of the most frustrating, difficult periods in my life.  The immobility and dependence on others for the simplest things is wearing me down.  It does not help that my husband decided to divorce me two weeks after my fall.

I had the cast/splint removed after 2 weeks and now have a boot. I use a knee stroller to get around--a real improvement over the walker.  I have been relatively pain free until two days ago, when I think I stresses my ankle when I was cleaning out my house.  It feels as if someone is sticking a nail into the outside bottom area of my ankle.  Tylenol is only minimally effective at easing the pain.  Has anyone else experienced this sort of pain? If so, did anything help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Having had a total ankle replacement five years ago and now about to have it revised I can sympathize with your frustration at your lack of mobility.

I'm very sorry that you are also having to deal with a divorce just at a time when you need all the support at home that's possible. Just try to take it easy and to hell with stuff like house cleaning, surely that can wait until you are fully recovered!

Every good wish.

Richard

• Posted

Thanks--you are right, leave the housecleaning for later! One loses an objective perspective when sitting  (or mostly lying) in a room by oneself all day.

So sorry you have to have your ankle replacement revised.  Will you be immobilized for a while?  Wishing you little pain and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks. A straight forward ankle replacement is several weeks of nin weight bearing, followed by several in an Aircast or similar full length boot. One has to spend weeks with the foot elevated which makes coping with life very difficult.

A revision is likely to present additional problems with a very uncertain outcome so I am dreading this. I'm 76 but fit and just had a revision of a twenty year old hip replacement.

All the best.

Richard

• Posted

I would be dreading it too. On the other hand, you know what to expect and can prepare (as well as possible).  Hope your outcome is a very positive one!
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm trying to remain positive but it feels a little like watching a train crash if your know what I mean!

Cheers

Richaard

• Posted

Maybe it would be helpful to everyone on this list if we shared how we "entertain" ourselves while NWB. At my son's suggestion I am auditing an online course through MIT on data analysis. It is free, pretty intense, but I do enjoy the lectures.  There are many online courses in every subject and I would be glad to help anyone find a course they might like. 

• Posted

I sympathize with you on all points.

I was in the same position as you were 16 weeks ago, same break, surgery etc

One thing I did was follow the drs orders to the letter. You can’t do too much, not easy for self sufficient, independent types .

It sounds like you are pushing it too much, healing takes time. Be gentle with yourself and once you are weight bearing do PT it got me back and walking normally and it’s been 16 weeks.

Pain like that is your bodies way of saying... enough your hurting yourself.

Best of luck 

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback.  Following doctor's orders and embracing PT after one can bear weight seem to be keys to recovery.  The endless waiting while it seems that nothing is happening is frustrating. I know everyone's story is a bit different, but your 16 week recovery gives me hope with a timeline. 

Thanks.

• Posted

When I started weight bearing, it felt like I had two pebbles under my foot for awhile. The Dr prescribed Tramadol for pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.