Trimalleolar ankle fracture on July 30th..need advice

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I fell and dislocated my ankle on July 30th.I believe i passed out because all i remember is falling and not knowing why.I went to the emergency room and they said i had broken my ankle.I had surgery to put in a plate and screws in on Aug.4th.I'm in a cast that will come off on September 14 th.I think they put a removable cast on after that.What can i expect after this cast is removed? Will there be more pain? How soon do they start physical therapy after the cast is removed ?

Any advice is appreciated!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry about your accident .I broke mine in June and had surgery.Had removable boot at six weeks and could partial weight bear my foot felt really stiff and pins and needles to begin with I'm now ten weeks in normal shoe have physio once a week trying to use one crutch been working hard on physio exercises as my foot been really stiff on up and down movement but seems hard work is beginning to show and definitely improved this week good luck in your recovery plenty of rest and when you do start physio keep going and try and keep positive which can be hard at times .I felt down at times and thought I never get as far as i am now but I know now I wilt get there this forum really helps to hear how others are doing .

• Posted

I get swelling after 10 and a half months, no pain with it, only pain around plate if I work it too hard.

At the early stages, and they will quickly pass, 👏🌻🌼,It was a mission. Every time my foot was down, it went purple and hurt like heck. I used to lie on couch, with broken leg at rear of couch, and put leg up at a right angle on back of couch. Got swelling down very fast. Left me extremely flexible as I can go past the 90° now. Was a good stretch. Still do it after a hard day.

You'll be back in action in no time. I had to completely learn to walk again after some medical botch ups. Was funny. My brother said, it'll be easy. You've done it before. Only this time no coffee tables to hang on to!😀

A sense of humour is great medicine!😂😂😂

@{°×°}@

• Posted

When you are full weight bearing and walking you will experience swelling and discomfort when the leg is down. Also you should begin PT. Your will experience improvement when you start. Dedicate yourself to PT and RICE. I am almost 20 weeks and today I felt I was 99%.
  • Posted

yes. i completely shattered my ankle breaking all 3 bones. had orif surgerey 4 weeks in cast, they had to use steel plates and screws to get it in place. now my cast is removed and was told pain should decrease and honestly it was a 10 out of 10. now in walking boot and weight barring and all i do is cry, so much pain doc keeps decreasing the meds and i cant move. good luck
    • Posted

That sounds horrible!! I hope they can get the pain under control soon! Have they tried something for nerve pain like Gabapentin?

Maybe worth asking about if not.

• Posted

Let me know what your doctor says.Im curious what other doctors think about that medication
  • Posted

I have had a trimalleolar fracture in both feet and can tell you that the less narcotics you use and if you keep from weight bearing you should have a good recovery, but it takes bones up to a year to heal. Ask your ortho for a bone stumulator. I think it's helping me.

• Posted

After reading all these posts, it helps me out a lot! Today marks the 4 week period from my break. Currently in a cast and seem to be on the projected track to a normal (if you can call it normal) recovery. The concern that i was having was the sharp electric pains and burning sensations I have been having in the knee, foot, and ankle areas. Seems to be not out of the ordinary.

I know I have a tough time ahead of me, but hearing from you all that have gone through or going through this keeps me positive!

I have a really high tolerance for pain and there were times I just wanted to cut off my whole leg. Pain isn't too bad at this point, just discomfort in areas away from my ankle. Any tips to help alleviate/cope with these? I have crutches, a walker, and a knee scooter to help get around. I know my limits, but sometimes I exceed them.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Mandi!  I too am recovering from a trimallor fracture of my left ankle and a bilateral fracture of my right ankle.  My injury happened on July 9, had surgery on my left on the 11 of July.  I was not casted, both of my feet were put in black walking boots.  Was totally non weigjtbearing on the surgical ankle but started pt about 2 1/2 weeks post op.  Surprisingly have had discomfort but very little actual pain!  My right ankle is giving me a little more discomfort because it takes the brunt of my weight. Pt taught me how to walk with the walker and putting slight weight on surgical ankle.  I am frustrated because I have a cleaning business that I can't really do, so had to hire help and just sit in the houses and dictate duties, also have a second job in retail and am totally unable to work that.  I do get down and find evenings my hardest time.  I will say however, my recovery seems to be progressing amazingly!  My drs suggestion was to take the boot off and set foot flat on floor and start working it back to eventually line up with my hip, as a result my physical therapist says I have a lot more mobility in my ankle than anyone he has worked with at this point!  In the next week or two he's going to work with me on getting in the pool, which is difficult seeing as how I am sporting two broken ankles! I hope your recovery goes well!  I'm hoping to be back on my feet within the next 6weeks!  My biggest struggle will be stairs, so I will prob need help in my business for 5-6 months!  I am looking forward to the numbness I feel on the surface of my foot to go away, driving me nuts! FYI, keep moving your toes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.