Trimalleolar Fracture

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 2 months from DOI. My doc put me in a walking boot 3 weeks ago, but I am still NWB. He wants me to be able to stand on my own by January 13th, 3 month mark, and I just don't see that happening. I feel like I am trying to push myself to stay on that timeline but I don't want to overdo it. I have osteoporosis which he feels contributed to the break being so severe. But I don't know what to do. I don't want him to think I am not trying. When I put just a little weight it felt like someone shoved a hot poker up my leg. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I am 3 months from DOI and I am still not walking. I can't put any weight on my foot at all. My nerve damage is very bad from the knee down and I have developed CRPS which causes constant burning and pain. What my PT told me is that the Ortho surgeons are not on the same page so to speak. When I told my PT that my surgeon says I should be walking, and my PT and I are still working on baby steps.. he assured me that it takes time and not to worry too much, just to make sure you strengthen it everyday with exercises and movement. I'm still using my knee scooter to get around even though I'm sick of needing it. We'll get there soon...

• Posted

What type of surgery did you have? What is DO?
    • Posted

I feel a burning or tingling sensation sometimes in the arch of my foot. I just figured it was everything coming back to life. I never thought how much the nerves were affected. I hope thin
    • Posted

Sorry...I hope things continue getting better. And I understand the love/hate with the knee scooter.
  • Posted

Just know bones are very much like muscles. I didn't know that until this year. You need to work them, then they break down a bit, which causes them then to grow back stronger. The more you weight bear...the stronger the bones get. That is why weight lifting is so good for the bones, it puts pressure on them and causes them to get stronger. Go slowly...it will happen. It is a slow process for sure. Make goals for yourself by the week and month vs. by the day and you will do it. I always had goals and worked hard toward reaching them. I am 10 months out and had a deep tissue massage today. After the therapist worked my injured ankle for some time very deeply, I told her I had broken 3 bones 10 months ago in my ankle and it was nice to be able to get a massage again. She guessed it must have been in the one she was about to start working, and I laughed and said she guessed wrong. It didn't hurt whatsoever during the massage- I thought I would never be at this point again. In fact, I thought 10 months ago I would never walk again. Have hope and work at it a little bit every day- never give up. That's what I did. This too shall pass.

• Posted

Yes it does but very slowly. 11 week's ago I had ORIF surgery on my left ankle.

• Posted

My experience was that everything got better by week 16 (4th month) and much better after the 6th month. It is a hard road for sure, and working the muscles and tendons back into shape is especially hard work. I'm sorry about your infection and bad experience with your doctor. I have heard things heal a little slower when you smoke, so give it time. Things will get better. I'm 56 btw and was always very active, and now again am very active as well. I have 3 grandchildren under the age of 3 and a set of twins coming in May and another daughter trying to get pregnant right now. If I'm able to run after all those little ones every day, I'm sure you will be up and running around too in no time.

• Posted

YAY Patti... I'm not that good.. I just asked yesterday if there was a pedicurist that would be gentle enough for me to get one done soon.  Way better than it used to be but not dang well.  Good for you..I'm happy for you... And Merry Christmas... Let's start 2017 a little better than last year. LOL

• Posted

Ty patting for your vote of confidence! We gotten this! Congrats on twins!!!!!
    • Posted

This is encouraging to me ... I am 54 just 4 weeks post surgery. While NWB is difficult I am most worried about longer term effects. I am a long way from grandkids (I have teenagers), but I hope to be active again.

Thank you everyone who comments. So nice to know others are on the same journey.

• Posted

That's for sure Cass! It will get better...hang in there!!

• Posted

Thank you for such encouraging and positive words. My Trimalleolar fracture occurred on October 4, 2016. One of the bones broke into fragments and one bone was dislocated. I had surgery late that night. After two weeks in a splint, I was put into an air cast and non weight bearing until just recently and then only 50% and I am not doing that all day. I still hop with my walker and use the wheelchair. I have not been given the go ahead for physio yet but do range of motion exercises daily (Wellki on utube) and have seen great improvement!! Hope to start physio in January which will be the beginning of month 4.

I think it is really important to go slow and try to listen to what my body is telling me through my degree of pain, etc. Noone knows me better than me. I am 61 years old and very determined and can't wait to get moving!! But I do realize it is going to take time and hard work and there will be pain involved. I did some research on how bones repair themselves and what a process. They have a big job!!

I am a Nana to a beautiful 3 yr old granddaughter and can't wait for our future adventures. I will do all it takes to get back to my old self and if that is not to be for whatever reason, I will work hard at being the best I can be.

Good luck to everyone on this journey to recovery. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

• Posted

Your exactly right! Hurry and get better ofcourse...but listen to your body...you know it better than anyone. Merry Christmas.
    • Posted

Very well said! You are still early. Sounds like you are right on target though! You are entering at point where you can finally do something every day to make yourself better. It hurts a bit and I'm very anti-drug, but the best decision I made was to take a Motrin in the morning and a second before bed once I started the physio. It hurts to get things fired up again. The Motrin twice a day took away all my pain. You will go from where you are starting physio, to having some bad days where you feel you are going backwards, to walking with a bad limp, to working hard to dump the limp and to walk normally, to walking completely normal, to building your calf back up so you can run and hop. I was so glad on the day when I could finally sleep on my side again without any pain in my ankle....oh the small things!! One day you will realize you haven't thought about your ankle for an hour, then for a day, then for a week. It is a great feeling!! I was so happy to be able to play with my grandchildren again. Now I run everywhere after them and can do a bunny hop with them throughout the whole house. I run on the treadmill and do all the workout machines...no issues at all. I have stayed online for a while to let people know there is a bright side to all this. It makes sense people drop off when they are back to life again and feeling great and I felt sometimes it was hard to know if I really would be back to normal one day, since there wasn't anyone online that had healed well and was back to normal. I am 10 months out with a trimalleolar break with 13 screws and a plate installed still. I don't feel them at all now.

• Posted

I am so glad you stayed on this site!! I could just cry reading your words and they are tears of joy!! Thank you so much. I have done a lot of reading but nothing replaces being able to communicate with someone that has been on somewhat of the same healing journey. So happy that I am on the right track and oh how I am looking forward to the future and being back to normal. I will stock up on Motrin too!! I have had minimal ankle pain so far but my right arm has really been causing me some sleepless nights. I guess it is taking the brunt of the abuse while the left ankle is healing. I will try Morin. Thank you again. Karen .
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words. Everyone has to learn to sleep so differently with an ankle break. My left arm used to hurt too. I learned to sleep on top of it, when I could sleep back on my stomach. That way it was harder to bring it up and put it under my head. My trainer says that is one of the most common injuries to the shoulder.- sleeping funny on it.  Not sure if that is the reason yours has been hurting though. Be careful when you start to walk that you don't limp too much. You can hurt your knees and hips. Try to take longer steps (bigger strides) and swing your arms when you walk, vs. taking smaller limping steps. This will help with your form. Funny, but it works. I read a lot about people hurting their knees and hips when they first started walking again. There are a ton of great you tube videos on how to learn to walk correctly, and without a limp. They helped me a lot. You will be on your way soon!

• Posted

THANK YOU! For staying on to give hope and a look on the other side of this long recovery process. I am 4 months post surgery and I am doing better daily though the limp had me worried. I am so glad this forum allows us to share ideas and successes. I will be looking on YouTube for walking and range of motion videos. Also, I am glad to hear I am not going crazy with the nerve pain. My doctor is great but no one on his staff has had an ankle break so there isn't any real empathy, just science so having others to talk/write to has been wonderful! Thanks and good luck to all!

• Posted

I just realized that we had surgery around the same time. Mine was 10/20.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.